3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 17, 2012 5:53 AM by Einar Gulbrandsen

Categories...

Kevin Stickels

How much expereince is out there regarding the use of categories? The VAR who installed told me there was limited reasons for using categories. However, as I read through, it might make my flow into workflows slightly less chaotic. Just want to see what experiences you all have had pro or con.

• Re: Categories...
          Corey Hinman

i used it at my last company to differentiate between similar file type documents. For example, some excel files were category=Cost Estimate, and some were category=misc.

I "THINK" that once you set the category you can't change it, but I'm not sure.

I'm now using a variable called doctype which can serve a similar purpose, but is a little more flexible.

Brian Dalton

Yes, it's true that Categories can never be changed for a file once it's set.

I also have opted for using a variable to differentiate between document types as well as other properties, such as approval paths, life cycle phases, etc.  I also like the fact that with variables you can create as many kinds of categorizations as you want to more completely specify/identify/track a file.  With categories, each file can belong to only one.

Einar Gulbrandsen

But you dont have to use categories in the workflow as long as you use the built in conditions.

conditions_2.PNG

Here I check the datacard to make sure that all the variables are not empty (!="").

Check that the first letter in the number isen't 0abcdefg.....   [^ 0abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzæøå-]%.

Check the file path is not \\Prosjekt\21440\  (!=\Prosjekt\21440\%).