7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 1, 2017 9:09 PM by Dustin Perreault

Check for Updates Missing.

Chris Hedgecox

Is anyone having a problem where the Check for updates option is missing from help? also when i select it from solidworks instalation manager it opens and closes instantly. im currently using SP1.0 2012.

• Re: Check for Updates Missing.
            Scott Booth

I am having this problem now with 2017. Neither of the options in the link provided work as Chris said there is NOT a "Check for updates" option in the Help menu (as per his png) and Installation Manager Check For Updates opens and closes instantly without doing anything. SW2017 SP2.0 trying to go to SP4.1. Other user here has not had same problem.

Dustin Perreault

Hey guys not sure if this will work for you but I had the same problem. I resolved it by going to Start > Programs > SolidWorks Installation Manager > Check for Updates However I right clicked check for updates >More>Run As Administrator. The installation manager then was able to find SolidWorks 2018 SP0.1

Scott Booth

Thanks for the tip Dustin, would never have thought to try that, alas it still opens and closes immediately and doesnt give me any other options. I thought for a moment it was my subscription status as it said "til 30/8/2017" (ie appears expired) but I uploaded my license and downloaded it again (after trying refresh and nothing happening) and now it says 30/8/2018 but still no check for updates in the menu. I should have the same access and permissions as the guy next to me and he has not had this problem. Cheers anyway.

Dustin Perreault

Scott, I am probably not qualified to give information on a subject I know so little about, however, this is what I would personally look at. Check for updates is ran from the installation manager so your problem may be related to the installation manager itself. I know installation manager problems oftentimes arise from lack of administrative priveledges, (which you have ruled out), or firewall and or antivirus settings. That being said if you have an IT guy you could possibly consult with him and see if he knows of any firewall or antivirus settings that could be preventing the program from opening. When updating my SolidWorks from 2017 to 2018 I had problems with the licensing, I downloaded the new license manager but found that I could not simply do this. The license manager needed to be updated on the server, not my personal computer. However, since you cant even get the installation manager to run I would venture to guess that this is not your problem, seeing as I ran into licensing problems after I installed SW 2018. Maybe look into what could possibly be different between your computer and SolidWorks settings and your coworkers. Was your SolidWorks installed before or after his? Maybe you could uninstall the installation manager and reinstall it? Again I should probably let someone else who is more knowledgeable in the subject try and solve your problem, but I figure it could not hurt to give my 2 cents.

Scott Booth

Dustin, actually you were right on the money. I thought I had ruled out admin rights issues but my co-worker "just remembered" he had admin rights activated for something else (but now he is going to lose it since IT have discovered it, D'oh!). Apparently the company admin rights policy means I cannot even check if there are updates to be had (through SW). Sigh. I still dont know why I couldnt even download SP4.1 by itself, that must be a separate issue but one of the IT guys got in and used the Installation Manager to check and yes install the newer SP. Its just like SW to play "Guess what I am thinking now", close out something without giving any clues as to what the problem might be. Would it hurt them to still have the "Check for updates" option there and when you try and use it to say "You need admin rights to proceed"????? We have never had this problem before as we had our own IT guy and rights policy but now we are under the umbrella of our sister company. Anyway thanks for your help, much appreciated!

Dustin Perreault

Glad you got it figured out! I'm slightly regretting upgrading to 2018, I mainly upgraded it so that I could play with their CAM software but after upgrading I discovered it doesn't have turning. I shouldnt complain since it previously came with no CAM software. Anyway my main complaint is more so with GibbsCAM. GibbsCAM can not currently open SW 2018 files, unless converted to another format. Also I always hated upgrading SW because coworkers still on SW 2017 can't open my files. I absolutely love SolidWorks but if I was to complain about one thing it's that they took away the ability to open files from newer versions. Anyway enough rambling. Glad you got your problem resolved, and only 5 years after the original post.