3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 2, 2015 3:17 PM by C. Buchner

Does anyone have experience with Arena and Enterprise PDM?

Clark Anderson

We are considering using Arena software with Enterprise PDM.  We want a system that will integrate with our Enterprise PDM BOM as well as store supplier information to help with purchasing/supply chain mgmt.  We would also like an easy to use interface which it seems like it has.

I have some concerns though.  When reading through the data sheet on the arena website, it seems dated (i.e. mentions SW2008 and Windows XP for example and doesn't mention Windows 7).  If they don't keep their documents current, this seems like a flag to me.  I am wondering if this is something worth pursuing or are there any other reasons not to pursue this software?

I have been unable to find someone who has experience with this software which is why i'm asking on the forum.

Also if anyone has experience with other ERP systems that integrate with SolidWorks EPDM, i am interested in your feedback.

Thanks for your time,

Clark

• Re: Does anyone have experience with Arena and Enterprise PDM?
          Raguraman Thulasiraman

Clark,

The best way to integrate EPDM with ERP is de-Coupled Integration.

Following are the different approaches you can look when you want to integrate EPDM with any ERP system:

1. Point-to-point integration 
          2. Information portals 
          3. Multipurpose model – de-Coupled Integration

Point-to-point integration is based on an application-to-application specific interface built using Application Programming Interface (APIs) and custom code. This integration can enable a “REAL TIME” and “TIGHTLY COUPLED” data exchange between the systems ensuring the updates in either of the systems take place instantaneously based on pre-defined rules and configuration settings.

Such integrations can be acquired from an application vendor or can be custom developed. Point-to-point integrations can provide a very rich and uniquely tailored solution.

An Information Portal in the ERP & EPDM scenario is a framework that can be designed to represent the integration of the data or the information that is available in one or more enterprise systems (ex: any PDM/PLM & any ERP).

In larger enterprises, it is common to see processes being enabled via multiple systems. Different people in various organizations need to access information residing in these systems to make decisions on daily basis. Often, these individuals need to collate such information for downstream purposes. Information Portal can be extremely helpful in extracting information from different enterprise systems and presenting it to the users in a pre-determined format. These reports can be presented in different formats based on individual’s role.

The information portal could be built by making use of the pre-configured reporting tools linked to the enterprise systems or can be a standalone interface built for custom requirement. Ex:  Cognos Reporting studio, Crystal Reporting tools or custom ASP.NET web development

A de-COUPLED Integration can be designed with an Enterprise PDM system and with any ERP system (ex: Microsoft Dynamics AX) as long as it supports open-source XML based data exchange

In this integration model, the XML file format will be used as a medium for the data exchange between the enterprise systems

This type of integration, when developed for unidirectional data exchange between systems, makes the implementation process easier and within shorter lead times since it utilizes out of the box (OOTB) components in both the source and the destination systems

In certain bi-directional data exchange type integration models, the usage of the Application Programming Interface (APIs) of both ERP and Enterprise PDM tools along with open-source programming platform may be necessary. This can result in a much more complex implementation than the unidirectional data exchange

A “de-COUPLED” data exchange between the systems will make sure the updates in one or both the systems take place based on pre-defined schedules, rules and configuration settings

Such integrations can be acquired from an application vendor or can be custom developed. The de-COUPLED integrations can provide a very rich and uniquely tailored solution.

We can support any of the above mentioned method. Please let me know if you need any more clarification or support for your integration requirement

• Re: Does anyone have experience with Arena and Enterprise PDM?
            Joy Garon

Hi Clark,

Yes, we have an integration between EPDM and Arena.

Joy