7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2012 3:09 AM by Robin Staes

Use API to create custom properties for currently selected part in an assembly

David Blackburn

I'm using the ModelDoc2.SelectionManager to obtain the currently selected component in an assembly. With that I get the ModelDoc2 of the selected component, then the ModelDocExtension, and finally the CustomPropertyManager from that. I use the CustomPropertyManager to query some of the custom properties and then use it to add a new one. The properties I query are all correct for the selected part so I know I am working with the correct component. I use the CustomPropertyManager's Add2 function to add a new property and it returns a 1 implying it was added successfully. If I click the More Properties button to view the component's custom properties, I see my newly added property in the list. From the File Menu I select Save All & then close the assembly. I immediately open the same assembly back up, select the same component, view its custom properties, and the new property I just added is no longer listed!

Anyone have any ideas what the problem is?

Thanks!

Below is the code I'm calling. I use the same code for dealing with both Part files and Assemblies. It works fine for Part files (AsmMode=false), but behaves as described above for Assemblies. In this case my parameters have the following values: CustPropName="TEST_PROPERTY", CustPropVal="true", AsmMode=true, swMdlDoc=null

static public bool SetCustomProperty(string CustPropName, string CustPropVal, bool AsmMode = false, ModelDoc2 swMdlDoc = null)

{

try

{

if (swMdlDoc == null)

{

swMdlDoc = (ModelDoc2)iSwApp.ActiveDoc;

}

CustomPropertyManager swPropMgr;

if (AsmMode)

{

// Need to obtain the active feature's ModelDoc SelectionManager

SelectionMgr swSelMgr = (SelectionMgr)swMdlDoc.SelectionManager;

int cnt = swSelMgr.GetSelectedObjectCount2(-1);

if (cnt > 1)

{

MessageBox.Show("Please ensure that only the object you are attempting to set Custom Property data for is currently selected.",

"Multiple Objects Selected", MessageBoxButtons.OK, MessageBoxIcon.Information);

return false;

}

if (cnt == 0)

{

ModelDocExtension swMdlExt = swMdlDoc.Extension;

swPropMgr = (CustomPropertyManager)swMdlExt.CustomPropertyManager[""];

}

else

{

Component2 swSelComp = (Component2)swSelMgr.GetSelectedObjectsComponent3(1, -1);

ModelDoc2 swSelMdlDoc = (ModelDoc2)swSelComp.GetModelDoc2();

ModelDocExtension swSelMdlExt = swSelMdlDoc.Extension;

swPropMgr = (CustomPropertyManager)swSelMdlExt.CustomPropertyManager[""];

}

}

else

{

ModelDocExtension swMdlExt = swMdlDoc.Extension;

swPropMgr = (CustomPropertyManager)swMdlExt.CustomPropertyManager[""];

}

bool PropertyExists = false;

int WasAdded = 0;

object[] nms = (object[])swPropMgr.GetNames();

foreach(string nm in nms)

{

if (string.Compare(nm, CustPropName, true) == 0)

{

PropertyExists = true;

break;

}

}

DocumentEventHandler.In_BK_ITEM_DESC_Reset = true;

if (PropertyExists)

{

swPropMgr.Set(CustPropName, CustPropVal);

}

else

{

WasAdded = swPropMgr.Add2(CustPropName, (int)swCustomInfoType_e.swCustomInfoText, CustPropVal);

}

DocumentEventHandler.In_BK_ITEM_DESC_Reset = false;

return WasAdded == 0 ? false : true;

}

catch(Exception)

{

return false;

}

}