4 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2012 10:29 AM by Bill McEachern

How does remote load work?

Jaspreet Hothi

I am trying to figure out how the remote load works. As per the information I have, remote load connects the load to the face with rigid beam elements. This means I can substitute any remote loads with an equivalent moment and force applied directly to the face. I did a small test run with the two configurations onw with remote load and another with equivalent moment and force. The results to my surprise are not the same. The model with moment and force applied directly to the face showed much more displacement than the model with remote force. The stress is very close in value but the displacements are off. Can anyone explain why this is happening.

Thanks,

Jaspreet Hothi

• Re: How does remote load work?
          Anthony Botting

Hi Jaspreet:
          It appears you did everything correctly. The answer you got by substituting a moment and force to the face, allows the face to be flexible. Alternatively, the remote load functionality (rigid connection option, as you mentioned) applies rigid bars to the face. The consequence is that the rigid bars cause the face to move as a rigid face, which may not be what you want.  You should be able to get the same answer as the hand calculation by using the "Direct Transfer" option.

We put together a little video to highlight the difference. It is on GoEngineer's Youtube channel. I hope it helps explain it. Here is a link to it.

SolidWorks Simulation - Remote Loads

http://youtu.be/5ivg-gGThRo

Sincerely,

Tony

Jaspreet Hothi

Great explanation. Thanks.

I noticed that the direct transfer only works with forces and moments. Is there any way I can get it to work with mass.

Thanks for your help.

Jaspreet Hothi

Anthony Botting

HI Jaspreet. Not to my knowledge. You may have to resort to locating a concentrated mass at the cg and connecting it with elastic beam elements to to appropriate faces of the structure. (are you doing vibration analysis?) This approach may still be simpler than modeling all the components that are being represented by the mass. I hope that helps.

Tony

Bill McEachern

Another approach would be to add low stifness "blocks" on the part and then use the remote load and connect to them to get a low stiffness connection. It would be very handy if we had an RBE3 type connector as other codes seem to call it.

You may want to try the remote mass - put your mass in as a block and then use the remote mass feature - it may provide a flexible connection but it might not. If you try it let us know if it works or not.