10 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2012 10:53 AM by Jerry Steiger

Poor Benchmark test results

James Fogg

Hi,

I am new to Solidworks, having used Pro-E in the past. Up until yesterday, i thought Solidworks was absolute rubbish, everything runs really slow, regenerating for ages etc. then i ran the bench mark tests and the results are about 8 times slower than similar systems on the comparison tables. i got 344.9 for the CPU and 178.1 for the graphics, if you arrange the order of the table for the slowest system, mine will probably come pretty far up the list . Considering this system was recomended by solidworks i am a bit surprised. it is a dell i7 M4600 laptop with a NVIDIA Quadro 1000m graphics card. has anyone got any tips to speed up the system, or programs that are running in the background that could cause such poor times in the benchmark test? any help would be appreciated, i have never had to sort hardware stuff before. many thanks

• Re: Poor Benchmark test results
          Kelvin Lamport

First suggestion is to run the SolidWorks Rx tool and see what it reports.

Start > All Programs > SolidWorks 2012 > SoldWorks Tools

Anna Wood

What is the model of CPU that is in the system?  The CPU is everything for SolidWorks performance.

Go to Windows Power Options and select High Performance.  Windows 7 installs a Balanced profile by default.

Be sure you have the correct graphics card driver for your system.

http://www.solidworks.com/sw/support/videocardtesting.html

Cheers,

Anna

Tim Glavin

James,

We have a Dell Precision 6600 (similar setup) we use as a demo machine.

We sometimes swap out the hard drive (actualy the SSD) to test installs of different software configurations.

At one point we found this otherwise blazingly fast machine was running like a dog. We discover the Windows experience index for the machine had dropped to 1.0 for the graphics. With a Windows Experience Index of only 1.0, SolidWorks was using software OpenGL.

It appears that when swapping drives, Optimus (which automatically switches between the integrated Intel Graphics chip and the NVidia board) had turned itself off in the BIOS.

The solution was to turn Optimus back on in the BIOS, and rerun the Windows performance tests to reset the experience index (It jumped back up to 7.<something>. SolidWorks went back to using the NVidia board, and life returned to normal (which is another sad story I won't bore you with just now).

... just one more thing to try.

- Tim

Carl Finney

I'm running SW 2010 Standard X64 on a brand new Dell Precision M4600 with Core i7 2.8 GHz processor, 8GB RAM, Win7 Pro 64 bit, ATI FirePro M5950 video with 1GB GDDR5. This is leagues beyond the PC I was using before, which crashed frequently and had other problems with SW.

But things were really really slow on this new machine, very disapointing! An assembly of 170 not very complex parts would rebuild for 30 seconds on every action, worse than the old machine.

Then, happiness! Ran SW Rx and discovered the FirePro driver was out of date. Brand new PC, mind you. Updated that and wow what a difference. All is right with the world.

Tried the "Also go to Control Panel > Performance Information and Tools > Adjust Visual Effects and select the Adjust for best performance option." tip above, but it resulted in poor video quality, so I switched back to "Let Window Choose..."

BTW this PC came from Dell Outlet for $1200 as opposed to about $1800 on the regular site. It is a perfect new unit which had been ordered, then cancelled before shipment.

Carl