5 Replies Latest reply on May 18, 2012 4:02 PM by Brooks Lame

3D PDF Export

Wayne Schafer

Is it possible to export annotations such as balloons  with a 3D pdf so they will show up in the PDF document?

• Re: 3D PDF Export
          Scott McFadden

Wayne,

Are you talking about placing balloons and such annotations on a drawing and exporting that to pdf?

If so absolutely.  If not can you give more detail please?

Wayne Schafer

Scott, I am talking about puttin annotations on a 3D model not a 2D drawing.  You can put annotations on a 3D model but when you export it to a 3D pdf the annotations do not follow, they are not in the 3D pdf.  Is there a way to make the annotations show up in the 3D pdf?

Scott McFadden

Wayne,

Yes, I know you can add the annotations to the model.  I just wanted to clarify what you were trying to do.

Never tried doing what you are describing, but what if you were to do a print screen.

Would that suffice for what you are trying to do?

Also, do the balloons show up in the print preview?

Glenn Schroeder

Wayne,

To my knowledge 3d pdf's only show model geometry, but someone else may know a way to make annotations show.

Brooks Lame

I'm running into the same problem (though not using SolidWorks directly).  We had planned to simplify documentation by putting all the dimensions and annotations on the 3D model and then exporting to 3D PDF. 

We purchased a couple licenses for a pluggin from SimLab Soft but were disappointed to find it will only translate 2D plane and 3D geometry; no point, line, guide, dimension, nor text entities are translated to display in the 3D PDF.  

I just learned from QuadriSpace, that their 3D PDF translator also has the same limitations: only 2D plane and 3D geometry export to 3D PDF.

However, I _DO_ see on the Adobe.com website, a couple example 3D PDFs that _DO_ have dimensions and annotations attached to the 3D model in the PDF.  I looked at them in Reader 9.5 and yes, the notes are on a 2D plane tied to the 3D model and move with the model when you orbit.  Interesting, both say the corresponding original model was in CATIA V5.  see:   http://www.adobe.com/manufacturing/3dpdfsamples/3dsolutions/

Anyone have any ideas?   ...it would suck if those annotations can only be added post-PDF processing...