6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2013 6:00 PM by Jim Pazen

Is there some way to know the default SolidWorks font?

Rajat Jain

Hi..

I need to know the font information which SolidWorks application uses to display its menu and toolsbars. Is there some way to know it?

I appreciate your help!!

Thanks

Rajat Jain

• Re: Is there some way to know the default SolidWorks font?
          Tom Spine

SolidWorks uses the Tahoma font for menus and toolbars (including the CommandManager).

--Tom

Rajat Jain

Tom..

I appreciate your prompt reply.

I am developing a dialog which opens through SolidWorks command manager button. The client needs the dialog font to be compatible with SolidWorks font. Thus, I have a couple of quick questions: -

• Is there some way a user can change the SW font? If yes, Can we know it?
              • What is the size of the font in the command manager?
              • I have found that the font size changes when I change the Windows default font size. Is there some way to know the SW font size or is it same as Windows font size?

Thanks in advance for your support.

Rajat Jain

John Sweeney

Hi Rajat,

1. The user cannot change the font face.  However, users can affect the font size using the Win7 system settings for predefined 100%, 125% and 150% text scale along with custom options.  SolidWorks is a DPI-aware application so the text font will change size based on this system setting. 
                  2. The font size in our menus and the command manager are based on the system menu font height obtained using the "SystemParametersInfo" call and the returned "info.lfMenuFont.lfHeight" value. However, as mentioned above, it will also scale itself.  In other words, if the user has 125% system font scaling in effect, it will use a font size of “fontht*1.25”.
                    1. Dialogs start with a fixed point size of 8 and then will scale based on the system font scale value.
                    2. One other note, the commandMgr buttons use the menu font size but at a slightly smaller scale because of the difficulty of fitting all the text onto the buttons.  In addition, the commandMgr buttons only support two text sizes for these buttons. The text will show at 92% or 127% of the default system menu font.
                  3. Yes, you are correct.  As mentioned above, the text will scale based on the system font scale obtained with the “GetDeviceCaps(hdc, LOGPIXELSX);” call.

If you have further questions, you best bet is to contact our API group.

Best Regards,

John