5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 5, 2012 2:09 PM by Matt la Croix

Unable to Open a Checked Out File

Matt la Croix

I have several users that are having an issue when trying to open a checked out file, they get an error message that the

file is not found.

I have checked their user permissions and they are identical to other users that are not having this issue.

Has anyone seen this behaviour before?

• Re: Unable to Open a Checked Out File
          Steve Ostrovsky

Never come across this. Is the file actually there visible in the Vault View? Can you preview it?

Barry Cargould

I think I have seen it when someone has created a file in their local vault but has not checked it in yet. The server knows there is a file with a certain name but since the file has not been checked in, the server does not have the file and cannot have anyone else open it.

Matt la Croix

After some more testing I have been able to confirm that the file is physically in the vault and checked it in just to be safe.

A couple other strange things. When I try to clear the local cache of the user the saem messagebox appears that the "file could not be found".

I had the user log into my machine and he was able to open the file no problem.

I'm starting to wonder if this could be a windows permission issue.

Corey Hinman

on some occassions i've seen the servers path to the vault shown instead of the local views, ie C: vs D:. Have you tried doing file-open (from solidworks or word  or whatever) and browsing to the file?

Matt la Croix

With the help of my VAR I have discovered what the issue was.

All of our department machines are imaged from a master image. The master image contained a vault view that was already installed.

Every vault view has a unique ViewID number, since various users had the same Vault View ID #, it was causing all kinds of anomolies such as this one and also not allowing some users to get the latest version.

The lesson here is never clone a vault view.

Also if you ever have trouble deleting a vault view because the original user that set up the view is not available to delete it, you can get around it the following way.

1) Open a Command Prompt

2) change to your vault directory CD/vault

3) type "desktop.ini" to launch the file in notepad

4) edit the user name found in "attached by" and close the file