26 Replies Latest reply: Jan 8, 2014 6:11 AM by Martin Solem

View usage of EPDM licenses

Martin Solem

Hi,

We have a customer with several licenses, but some times users are unable to log on because they hit the roof regarding available licenses.

They have ordered a few more, but they would also like to know if there is a way to view who or how many is using which license, some kind of license manager.

This will help them monitor if this happens just once every 30 days, or if they need to purchase more licenses if it occurs often.

Something like this:

License TypeIn UseTotalIn Use By
      Editor215John, Mike
      Contributor1020Anne, Bob, etc
      Viewer2525Fred, Mary, etc....

Is is possible, without or with programming?

Thanks in advance,

Martin S

• Re: View usage of EPDM licenses
          Tim Read

Hi Martin,

Use can use the Report Generator...

Here is a ready made report for you that was created with the help of people on this forum - especially Joy.

Martin Solem

Thank you Tim, that's pretty darn close to what i needed

I will mark that as answer, but does anyone know if it's possible to get the totals value from somewhere? (As shown in the Administration tool - License view).

Naveen Maganti

Hi Tim,

We need last one Month ePDM license usage report to analyze the license usage.

1) Is it possible through sql query. If so please help me.

2) In SolidWorks there is a log file (lmgrd.txt) which will stores all license usage information. like this any log file is available for epdm? If so please tell the logfile information.

Thanks,

Naveen

Tim Read

Hi Naveen,

As far as I'm aware there is no log file for EPDM licenses. You could create one by running a query every 'x' minutes but you may not capture all license use.

As far as using the lmgrd.txt for Solidworks, you should be careful as I recall reading somewhere (10 years ago) that to log license usage from FlexLM you should use their solution (pay for it) otherwise you will also not get an accurate license usage analysis.

Tim

Michael Dekoning

Naveen,

We have been using a product called OpenLM for reporting license usage for our CAD applications that use FlexLM for several years. The folks from OpenLM were able to tell me how to format a mock lmgrd.txt file. I wrote a service that runs on the EPDM server that queries the database (much as shown in the report above) on a desired frequency and writes the result to the mock file. OpenLM then uses this file just as it would any FlexLM file to generate the usage reports we desire. OpenLM is inexpensive and we've found it to be quite valuable to help us manage our licenses. Note: I am not compensated in any way for this post.

Mike

CEPA

David Hales

This is an older topic, but I thought I would reply. This SQL query should help.

select 'CAD Editor' as LicenseType, * FROM (select distinct liu.hostname as 'Computer', liu.username as 'Username'

from ConisioMasterDb.dbo.LoggedInUsers liu,ConisioMasterDb.dbo.LoggedInUsers gliu,master..sysprocesses sp

where liu.spid = gliu.spid and liu.spid = sp.spid and upper(sp.program_name) like upper('%EdmServ%') and gliu.ProgramType=0) as Logins

UNION ALL

select 'Contributor' as LicenseType, * FROM (select distinct liu.hostname as 'Computer', liu.username as 'Username'

from ConisioMasterDb.dbo.LoggedInUsers liu,ConisioMasterDb.dbo.LoggedInUsers gliu,master..sysprocesses sp

where liu.spid = gliu.spid and liu.spid = sp.spid and upper(sp.program_name) like upper('%EdmServ%') and gliu.ProgramType=1) as Logins

UNION ALL

select 'Viewer' as LicenseType, * FROM (select distinct liu.hostname as 'Computer', liu.username as 'Username'

where liu.spid = gliu.spid and liu.spid = sp.spid and upper(sp.program_name) like upper('%EdmServ%') and gliu.ProgramType=2) as Logins

UNION ALL

select 'Web' as LicenseType, * FROM (select  liu.hostname as 'Computer', liu.username as 'Username'

where liu.spid = gliu.spid and liu.spid = sp.spid and upper(sp.program_name) like upper('%ConisioWebServer%') and gliu.ProgramType=3) as Logins

order by username

Sylvain Trudel

Martin,

Here is a tool that I developed to help create a report on EPDM licenses.  It's based on a T-SQL script that collects usage in a table.  Another tool reads the table and offers a graph.

Important note:  This is provided on a AS IS basis.  No support is offered by SolidWorks Technical Support.

http://sdrv.ms/16D8Vc6

-Sylvain Trudel

Brian Dalton

Thanks so much, Sylvain.  That looks like a very powerful toolset!

I have a few questions about EPDM licensing, though:

1.  If a single user logs in two times using the same username to the same database server but from two different computers, are there two 'tokens' allocated or just one?

2.  If a user logs in to the Windows Explorer interface (not the admin tool) using the Admin account, is a token allocated for that user?  I know that the Admin user doesn't show up in a logged-in user search, but I have reason to suspect that a license may be used for the Admin user anyway.

3.  Assuming the answer to #2 is Yes, what if more than one admin login occurs simultaneously at more than one location?  Does each Admin login use up a license?

4.  Finally, if a standalone API app is written which logs in using the Admin account, is a license used?  That is, if User A is logged in with their own username, then simultaneously runs a standalone API app the logs in as Admin, is that machine now using two licenses?

Sorry for all the questions, but they bear directly on our licensing strategies going forward, and it would be very beneficial to know exactly what to expect as far as actual license usage.

Martin Solem

Sylvain, thank you!

What you provide here will be very helpful indeed.

This also lead me on to locate the TWiP's, i will dive into that well of information soon!

Arto Kvick

This is a well needed addition... I have just one question. How does it take in the "idle" users... Our timeout is 30mins. So basically users that have been idle for 30mins should be listed also as a free license?

Tim Webb

Hi Arto,

I realize this question was directed to Sylvain but wanted to add my experience with the TWiP since I have used it extensively. Did you see my response to Jason above?

This SQL job does not do anything magical, it merely records the current license usage on an interval you determine so really it only takes snapshots as an observer.

As you stated, the inactive licenses are not officially "returned" back to the license pool until the user has been inactive for 30 minutes. And since that user did not officially "log off" the inactive licenses would be shown as in use until inactivity period reaches 30 minutes.

Again, nothing magical about this SQL job, it is merely a photographer.

Moving on...

If you set up the SQL job to record the license count every 60 minutes, it will take a snapshot every 60 minutes. This is not a very granular window representing EPDM license usage but it may be good enough for some facilities. In the beginning I set it to take the snapshot every 5 minutes and realized after 2 days the database was going to be huge and the data was not meaningful. Then pulled it back to record every 1 hour and realized this was not granular enough. Finally arrived at a snapshot every 15 minutes which captured the usage peaks and valleys well.

I have even used it to justify purchasing additional EPDM licenses based on the upward trend in the demand.

Hope this is helpful

Tim CEPA

http://www.equivaq.com

Arto Kvick

Tim,

Thanks for sharing the experience. I was merely interested on the "idle" time and also how PDM reports the idle licenses on the SQL... as you stated the queries are simple and that led me wondering how the 30min inactive time is reported...

I have the reporting set up and running on my test environment, but testing with 2 clients does not qualify as a license usage test... just a solid base on setting up the reporting to the production environment.

I'll crank the polling time to 15mins as you suggested.

I also believe, that this should be "out-of-the-box" feature on EPDM. It would be selling tool for SW since I'm not interested hearing users complain about "free licenses". I like to monitor the usage and purchase additional licenses, before we ran out of them.

Thank you.

Tim Webb

Glad to be of assistance.

I too would like more control over EPDM licenses and a better understanding of the rules governing the issue of who gets what when as well and timeouts.

Good to see you have it up and running. You will be pleasantly surprised (as I was) to know the data on usage. And once you have figures, you can throw the BS flag on people who claim to be locked out in cases where your facility never even bumps the max during the peaks.

Agreed, if this feature were an out of the box feature, I can foresee it driving more product sales from proactive admins.

Tim CEPA

http://www.equivaq.com