Hi all, I have a user that has reported a problem to me many times and we have yet to catch the problem in the act. Well, now we have a live example and I would love to be able to troubleshoot it and help him not lose his work! Here goes:
The user created a file, 'CHIP PAN.SLDPRT.' He currently has the file checked out and in use from our Enterprise PDM Vault so I cannot get a copy of the file to distribute here for help. If he closes the file his work will be lost without a doubt as the time time stamp in PDM shows the last save time over 3 hours ago. There are a few things 'wrong' with the part and I think they are indicators of the issue but I need help identifying a fix.
1. The part name, when loaded individually in SW2012 sp1, does not have an extension shown. All other parts that appear to be working properly do show the extension.
2. When the file is force regen'd and saved the 'asterisk' by the name does not go away, indicating it is not saving. There are no warnings or errors that pop up.
3. If you try and close the part it asks if you want to save, if you press 'Yes' nothing happens, the parts stays open but save dailog box closes, again without warnings or errors.
4. When you look at the part within an assembly and force regen / save the assembly the save 'asterisk' on the assembly goes away yet when you open the part from within the assembly it is still showing the need for a save and the time stamp in PDM is still unchanged!
5. I have verified that other parts save properly so I think we can rule out a connection issue between SW and PDM.
6. If I try and 'Save As' it will let me go through the motions but does not save out, either in PDM or outside PDM.
Any help at all is appreciated, I would rather the user not lose his work so let's hear some options! I tried to search the forum first but came up short, I am sure someone else has seen this!
I have attached a screen cap of SW showing that the file does 'know' where it is stored and you can see the file extension missing from the file name up top. If there is anything else you need to see just ask, I'll get it.
SW2012 sp1, Windows 7 Pro, Enterprise PDM 2012.
Chip Pan.png 144.1 KB