14 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2014 2:21 PM by Matt la Croix

Unable to Get Latest Version of a File

Matt la Croix

Cannot "Get Latest Version" of a file when the file is checked out by another user, I have tried with user rights and with admin rights and neither seem to work.

Is this normal? I'm sure that we were able to do so previously.

Any help is appreciated.

• Re: Unable to Get Latest Version of a File
          Matt la Croix

Forgot to attach the image....glv.jpg

Wayne Tiffany

The two that I see that someone has checked out you already have the latest version as much as is possible.  The part file you have 3/3 so your local copy is the latest.  The assy you probably have 3/3 but what it's telling you is that it has been modified.  You can only get latest version of what's on the server and you have that.  If someone has it checked out then they may have updated it but you can't get it until they check it in.

WT

(**EDIT - see my reply below - this one is not correct.)

Wayne Matus

Are you on the same computer and using the same local view as the user that has the file checked out? That is the only thing I can think of that would prevent you from getting the latest version of a file that is in the vault and checked out by another user.

Matt la Croix

Wayne,

Does the "-" on the  "-/3" mean that it is being modified?

Since the part further in the tree is listed as "3/3" that means it is not being edited?

Wayne Tiffany

I must say that I apologize because I believe my previous reply was not correct.

The 3/3 means that there are 3 versions of that file and you have version #3, therefore the latest.  I was thinking of the condition when you check out the file and then your local version shows the - as soon as you modify it.

I did some testing here and I believe in the condition you showed, the - means that you don't have any local copy and therefore should be able to get the latest version.  So with that in mind, we suspect that one of the 28 warnings might be a fatal one.  I could not replicate your issue - I was always able to get a local copy of the assy.  And even when I had the latest but told it to get it anyway, I was able to check the box and it either went through the motions or just ignored me - either way I had the latest.

WT

Wayne Matus

Matt, the first number is the version you have in your local view and the second number is highest vaulted number. So for example a 2/3 would mean that you have version 2 in your local view and the highest version in the vault is 3. So in this case a get latest version would replace the version 2 in your local view with version 3.

A - (dash) in the place of the first number indicates that the file in your local view has been modified. There is no version in the vault that matches what you have in your local view.

I like WT, the other Wayne, cannot duplicate the issue here where I cannot get a file like your assembly that shows -/3.

WM

Tom Rendon

Was there ever any resolution to this?  We are seeing the same issue.  We have some users who can get latest version when a file is checked out by another user and some who cannot.  All permissions seem to be the same, but there's got to be something I'm missing.

In this case, User A has the file checked out

User B can get the latest of this file

User C cannot (even having full admin rights)

Each user is on a different computer, SolidWorks is not open and this is done through Windows Explorer.

Any suggestions.

3-3-2014 3-11-54 PM.jpg