0 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2012 10:39 AM by John Rehak

Crashes, Old graphics drivers, and dual monitors problems

John Rehak

Good morning!

We here on the forum have discussed some of these problems in the past, with no apparent resolution. I have been having trouble opening SW files on my workstation since I started to use it 9 months ago. Basically, when I try to open any SW file at the beginning of a day, my workstation locks up and needs a hard restart. My RAM goes to 100% while my cpu hums along at 20-50%. This only happens after I open a new session of SW. Sometimes however, I need to restart my machine numerous times before I find a file that wants to open up.

I have been back, forth, and all around this issue with BOTH of my VAR's. Neither have been able to find a solution. We have tried complete uninstalls, reg wipes, updating graphics drivers, changing performance settings, etc etc.

Anyhow.. Today I uninstalled my graphics card driver which was not approved (thanks to an auto update). I then proceeded through the restart process to clear my memory, and re-installed the approved graphics card driver. With the approved driver, which is an older driver, my dual monitor setup will not function. Its an NVIDIA FX3800 card. Does anyone know a fix for this? I don't feel like the new driver has solved my crashing issues, so I am tempted to updated to the latest driver so I can have my dual monitors back.

FWIW, I am running the following:

HP EliteBook 8740w

Windows 7 64-bit SP1

Intel Core i7 CPU Q740 @1.73GHz

8GB RAM

Solidworks Premium  2012  SP 2.0

Incase anyone wonders about the crashing, I am not pulling files across a network, all of my work is right on my desktop. Also, this issue has been present since I was running SW 2011. Since then I have completely uninstalled SW twice, erasing everything. Clean uninstalls. Also, once I get SW to open up and work correctly, it will last like that as long as I don't start a new session of SW. And while I am working, my RAM rarely reaches 40%, while my CPU hovers around 20% if I am doing some heavy work. Rendering of large assemblies will push my CPU upwards of 80% and will push my RAM towards the same level. However, it has no problem dealing with these kinds of actions.

Thanks for the help! (again)

John