3 Replies Latest reply on Apr 10, 2012 9:38 AM by Colin Kirk

Mass & Volume Query

Colin Kirk

Hi all,

I am designing formed steel trays that have wire mesh welded inside them that will be used to reinforce concrete that is then poured into the tray. 

I have been asked to draw a part that will be the formed concrete inside the tray, it was simple enough to get a part to fit in the tray but not around a mesh.  So I just made a solid part that is intersected by the mesh. This again is fine until I need the mass of the concrete block as it not taking into account the mesh travelling through it.

I know that I could just do the mass calculations subtracting the volume of the mesh from the concrete on paper but is there a way that I can possibly use an equation or property link that will automatically calculate this volume by subtracting the volume of one part from another and, in turn, calculate the revised mass too.

Apologies if I am not being completely clear here.

Thanks

• Re: Mass & Volume Query
          Jeff Holliday

If you create the 2 items as separate multibodies within the same part you should be able to suppress the un-needed body and the mass properties would only show the un-suppressed body. You create the 2 multibodies by not "merging" them when modeling each portion.

Jerry Steiger

Colin,

You can create a multi-body part or you can create an assembly. If you make a multi-body part, then you will need to make a copy of the mesh. Use the Combine feature and subtract the copy of the mesh from the concrete. If you make an assembly, edit the concrete in the context of the assembly, then use the Cavity feature to subtract the mesh from the concrete.

Jerry Steiger

Colin Kirk

Thanks for the replies guys,

I have been swamped at work and forgot to check up on this thread.

Because I have to create the concrete part within my assembly to fit certain components the cavity command works a treat, although I had to alter my mesh slightly so that there was a 0.1mm gap between the crossing mesh as it was creating  "zero geometry" when I tried the cavity command, I will make this gap smaller in practice to reduce the extra material between the mesh bars though.

Thanks again.