AnsweredAssumed Answered

Configurations of Weldments?

Question asked by Rich Smothers on Mar 28, 2012

We have a line of equipment that has all of the same parts welded to similar but differant frame members. When I originally built these products in SW I simply built 1 complete assembly with my frame as a Structural Member. I then did "Save As" several times while renaming and changing my Structural member in each assembly so that I wouldn't have to re-build the similar assembly each time and redo each mate. This worked great and saved me a rediculous amount of time. My problem is that now if I am making sweeping changes to this line of equipment, I need to change each assembly seperately. Is there a way to make a change to 1 assembly that would consequently make the change for each of the other versions of similar equipment? I am wondering if something along the lines of 1 assembly to represent the entire line of equipment with the structural member having several configurations. The differance from one piece of equipment to another is mostly a few differant lengths of specific tubes and 2 or 3 differant parts welded on.

Any help/input would be greatly appreciated by a budding SW user. I am willing to start from scratch if anyone can offer a solution that will save me hours in the future.

-RS

SW 2012 Standard

Custom Machine

INTEL I7 960 QUAD-CORE 3.2GHz PROCESSOR

16.0 GB RAM DDR-3

300 GB WD SATA-II VELOCIRAPTOR HD 10K RPM

4X SATA-II CONTROLLER

Win7-64 bit

Outcomes