AnsweredAssumed Answered

Modelling motion on a frictionless airtrack.

Question asked by Adam Chambers on Mar 27, 2012
Latest reply on Apr 2, 2012 by Shrikant Savant

Hi guys.

Im a student designing an airtrack for my final year project for experimental applications for students further down the line to conduct dynamics experiments on.

im completley stuck. I have an airtrack extrusion ive created, and i want to be able to do a motion study where the glider for the airtrack is free to move linearly along this airtrack extrusion completley without friction for several different applications (fan thrust, angle of incline, and dc motor with eccentric mass load)

Especially for the dc motor one. Ive actually tried to do that as a motion study. So i have my dc motor working and turning at a given rpm with a given torque (i applied the rotary motor funtion and a torque to the motor shaft), and i have it mounted on my glider. I then have my glider mated to the 2 faces of the triangular airtrack. ive used a  3d contact and told it that theres no friction, and i also used a path mate to tell the glider its linear path, and also have given the 2 coincident mates that mate the 2 faces of the glider to the 2 faces of the airtrack instruction to be frictionless too.

Yet when i calculate motion, the glider stays stuck in the same place, when theoretically, i should be seeing a "vibrational backwards and forwards" motion as my motor turns with its eccentric mass. What am i doing wrong? and how can i make the track frictionless?

My models are very simple for now, i just want to get the technique for the motion down first. This is what it looks like

Thanks.

glider with  motor.JPG

Outcomes