12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2012 2:42 PM by Kelvin Lamport

*! HELP with solidworks bug !*

Jeremy Johnston

We are having a major bug appear in solidworks 2012 64Bit Professional.  The software will crash EVERYTIME you try and edit a dimension on a non-active part.  This was never a problem in past releases.  I am currently running SP3.0 EV and the problem still exists.  We lose a lot of work because of this issue.  We have been slowly trying to "re-train" ourselves to not change a dim on a non-active part but this is REALLY annoying.  Again the bug occurs when you edit a part in an assembly, while that part is active, double click on any other part in the assembly, when the dimensions pop up for the non-active part try and double click to change it.  Solidworks locks up and you must abort and close.  Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.  If this post is in the wrong area, please direct me to the correct location so that this bug can be resolved.

-Jeremy

• Re: *! HELP with solidworks bug !*
          Alin Vargatu

I was unable to reproduce your problem, as per the workflow you described. Can you create an Rx report and send it to your VAR?

By the way, the fact that you can reproduce the problem at will is good. They should be able to troubleshoot it once they have the Rx report.

Wayne Tiffany

I also just tried it with 2012 SP2.0 and it worked fine for me.

WT

Filipe Venceslau

Hi Jeremy, I was unable to reproduce your problem as well.

Maybe there is some assembly feature or part feature that is causing this to happen? Try suppressing different features, and see if you can manage to get it to not crash.

Filipe

Jody Smith

Is the non active part a legacy (2011 or older) part?

Kelvin Lamport

How many computers are having this problem?

What are the computer specs?

Were the installs done from a DVD or download?

Jeremy Johnston

Thanks for all the responses everyone!  This happens on all six of our design computers.  The problem has been since we upgraded from 2011.  All service packs we have installed have had the problem.  The initial install and service pack 1 were all installed from dvd's sent by our VAR.  Service pack 2 and 3EV were downloads from solidworks.

All Computers are i5 Quad core workstation PC's, 8GB ram, ATI FirePRO v4800's

Been using solidworks since 2006 and never had any issues like this one before.  We are a tool and die shop, and most of our assemblies are around 100-300 components, nothing too large.

Does not matter if the part is legacy or not, It will crash either way.

How would I go about creating the report?  I think I may have opted out of the feedback during installation....oops.

**Update** 

We design our tools from a master template assembly we created about three years ago.  The guy's and I at lunch created a new assembly with a few parts in it from my computer and we were able to edit the non-active component. NO BUG!  So the cause of this issue is leading me to believe our master design assembly template that was created a few years ago is somehow causing this?  Could this be? 

The first time we opened the assembly with 2012, it warned us of the template being out of date (SW 2011) and that they would be converted after saving....like normal.  So the assembly and components are now SW2012 files.  Could there be some system option set wrong when we created the template back in 09 that 2012 doesn't like?

It would be a real bummer to have to re-create the template it took a few days to make.

Filipe Venceslau

This can easily be caused by one specific feature...I would go arround suppressing different components/parts until the crashing stopped, then once you've narrowed it down to one part do the same with it's features.

Is this an in-context design? Do you have many assembly level features?

Also, you can try opening each part/assembly indivually (or use a macro) and force-rebuild (ctrl+q) every part/assembly and save.

Filipe

Brian Hoerner

Jeremy,

One "extreme" thing I do with ALL of our CAD systems start templates, is everytime I upgrde to newer major releases is to open the templates up and save them as the current versions templates.  This has seemed to aid in more stable parts over the last 15 years or so of different systems.

Just my nickletwoninetyfive

Brian

Alin Vargatu

Jeremy, creating an Rx report is quite simple.

The SolidWorks Rx tool is a stand-alone program that is found in: START > All Programs > SolidWorks 20xx > SolidWorks Tools.

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Use the Problem Capture tab to begin the process. 
                              2. Use the Record Video... button to begin. 
                              3. SolidWorks will start and click the Start Recording button. 
                              4. Reproduce the problem, then click Finish Recording
                              5. SolidWorks will be shutdown and you'll be returned to the Rx tool. 
                              6. Click the Describe Problem... and complete the form. 
                              7. The files opened during the session will automatically be included and listed under the Add Files... button; it will report the file count to the left of this button. Does this count sound correct? 
                              8. Click Package Files Now
                              9. Send the resulted ZIP file to your VAR.

Read this article for more information: CLICK HERE

Kelvin Lamport

It would be a real bummer to have to re-create the template it took a few days to make.

What template are you talking about?

What do you have in the template which took so long?