4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 20, 2012 9:49 AM by John Smith

Duplicate Files Loaded Into EPDM

Kevin Stickels

Hello all,

Our sister company recently loaded 300 files (models, assemblies, and drawings) into EPDM from outside the vault. However, the files were already in the vault from a previous update. Our sister company, copied all the files outside the vault, then edited them, then tried to put back in. Now, all the files are checked out and cannot be checked in because they no longer have unique file names. Because we have baseline data from the earlier upload, dumping the older files and replacing them with the newer files is probalby not the best route. It is an option though.

Currently, I am pulling up the old models, assemblies etc. and doing a "Save as Copy" under a new part number scheme. This works fine with the models and assemblies but I am having no luck reconnecting the references to the drawings. I am thinking my only option is to sit down and recreate the drawings from scratch. We cannot go back to our sister company to remove the files, correct them and reload them.

Anyone out there have any ideas?????

• Re: Duplicate Files Loaded Into EPDM
          Jeremy Feist

Assuming you want to keep the changes made by the sister company, I would take the duplicate files and move them out of the vault. then check out the original files. then save the duplicates into the vault (overwriting the original files), and then check them in. this will preserve file history of what happened to the files.

Stephanie Honeycutt

I agree with Jeremy on this one, but I wanted to ask: What do you mean you are not having any luck reconnecting the references? Are you getting any errors?

Also, If you want the new drawings to have new names, use the Copy Tree (with epdm) or the Pack N Go Command (without epdm) commands instead of a Save As. Both of these commands will automatically update your references and you will not have to do anything with them. You will also be able to copy more than one file at a time.

John Smith

Are you getting any errors?

Kevin Stickels wrote:

Hello all,

Our sister company recently loaded 300 files (models, assemblies, and drawings) into EPDM from outside the vault. However, the files were already in the vault from a previous update. Our sister company, copied all the files outside the vault, then edited them, then tried to put back in. Now, all the files are checked out and cannot be checked in because they no longer have unique file names. Because we have baseline data from the earlier upload, dumping the older files and replacing them with the newer files is probalby not the best route. It is an option though.

Currently, I am pulling up the old models, assemblies etc. and doing a "Save as Copy" under a new part number scheme. This works fine with the models and assemblies but I am having no luck reconnecting the references to the drawings. I am thinking my only option is to sit down and recreate the drawings from scratch. We cannot go back to our sister company to remove the files, correct them and reload them. how to use duplicate file finder program.

Anyone out there have any ideas?????