11 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2012 10:22 AM by Lenny Bucholz

importing a logo

Serj Smor

I'm very new to CAD applications, (Solid is my first) so I'm not really sure if this is the appropriate section for this question.

I have block type part ready, with a logo in a pds format. I want to add it on the surface of the block, with etching like look.
      I've tried to import my logo with the "Sketch Picture" option, without any succes (Solid let me to add it but without any depth/etching abilitys).

• Re: importing a logo
          Alin Vargatu

You need to read this article (click on the picture below):

Andrew-coin-8.jpg

J. Becker

Most logos are available in .eps vector format. This allows proper scaling in programs like Adobe Illustrator without loss of detailed curves.

I've tended to open logos (Illustrator AI files) directly from Solidworks, though you now require Adobe Illustrator to be installed. This gives me a sketch that I copy and paste into my part. This allows a little more ability to manipulate around complex curves and manage drafts.

Ensure you have your logo to scale before opening, as any conversion and scaling in SW seems to take a tremendous amount of time!

Serj Smor

After importing the eps. file, is it possible to use that copy and extrude cut it onto the piece ?

J. Becker

In theory, yes, I've had problems with different versions of eps files though. Our SW2011 has no problem opening Adobe Illustrator CS2 files, this then becomes a sketch which I simply copy and paste into a new sketch in the actual part. You can then extrude/cut as per usual.

Quick and simple on flat surfaces... split lines to 3dsketches and knitting required for curved surfaces.

The one thing that is difficult is setting up draft on complex logos. You may need to extrude each individual letter/outline otherwise it may produce errors.

part1.JPG

J. Becker

more...

part2.JPG

Serj Smor

Have you done it manually, letter after letter or just as one piece ?

J. Becker

Open AI file in SW, copy the whole sketch. In new part, start sketch on face, click top/center where you want the logo, paste.

On flat faces, do the whole logo at once for extrusions. This is easy, as you're typically extruding perpendicular to the face IN ONE DIRECTION.

On curved faces, you'll need to project the sketch onto a face which may distort it too much. In the example attached above, I've actually created a split line to get the logo onto the face(wouldn't use projection), then created a 3dsketch from that and extruded. The problem being, that with only one direction for extrusion you may be extruding tangent to a curve or create an extrusion that can't be drafted. At this point, you may need to extrude letter/symbol by letter/symbol to get the proper build.

If only we could extract multiple lines perpedicular to their positioned faces...