3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 28, 2012 1:54 PM by Todd Puckett

Copy some data into a "NEW' vault

Tom Cote

Hi guys,

I've got a unique request from a customer.  They use EPDM but not very well, poor workflows, datacards, etc...  The company has changed hands about 5 times in the last 3 years so they also have a majority of files that are considered "garbage" but they do want to retain for historical purposes.

They would basically like to get a "do-over" and create a brand new vault (also jump from EPDM 2010 to 2012).  So what they asked was to copy over the workflows, variable, datacards, etc... and then clean them and get everything working correctly as they want.  That's the easy part!

But after everything is working as they would like it to then they would like ONLY the files that they deem needed (~5% of their existing vault) transferred to the new vault.  But they would like it copied in a way that also maintains the history of the file(s) from the "old" vault.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Tom

• Re: Copy some data into a "NEW' vault
          Todd Puckett

Tom,

We have a simular situation.  We are running out of space in our current vault and wanted to create a new "archive" vault which we could move old job data to.  We found that not only would we loose file history but file references were not updated to reflect the new location.   We choose to leave the existing vault alone and put all new jobs in a new vault. 

Tom Cote

Running out of space is not as bad as you might think.  EPDM allows you to split the data up and it automatically keeps track of it for you. Basically you could even add an external USB hard drive to your server and "tell" EPDM how much (1 subfolder &/or all of them) of the data to move to that drive.  I don't remember the exact steps as it's been about 1 1/2 years since I did that change.  This option works VERY well as I have had to do that at two different sites.  It's a much better option than having two different vaults for your user to have to point to.

Todd Puckett

Yes, they have made it easy to add disk space, plus we have are running our archive server in a virtual environment which makes it even easier.

We are hoping a new vault will improve performance. 

Our vault is currently at 1 TB and we have noticed EPDM responding slower (hour glass when browsing folders) for the past year, especially when we enabled indexing.  Since we don't access old job data often we don't think an additional vault shouldn't be too inconvenient.