4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2016 1:20 PM by David Bapst

Control over sketch orientation??

Jeff Fouche

I have a situation in a complex skeleton model where at the very least I would like to align the Vertical and Horizontal in a given sketch to be parallel with something else.  I've tried creating a plane that is rotated to a suitable orientation, but have had no success.

Solidworks Help says "By default, the origin of a block is aligned to the orientation of the sketch entity. Use Align Grid/Origin to re-orient the coordinate system of a sketch or block if they are not in the desired orientation."  However, when I try to execute the command, nothing I pick shows up in the property manager - whether internal or external.  I found a workaround in the Knowledge Base (S-053893), but even it seems to no longer apply - creating a block still does not permit actually selecting anything.

My ProE-loving friends are all laughing right now.  Does SW2012 have any way of overriding the sketch orientation?

SW2012 SP2

W7 64Bit

4 GB RAM

• Re: Control over sketch orientation??
          Jeff Fouche

So this just in - managed to select a new origin after creating a block, then Edit Block, THEN Align Grid/Origin.  Unfortunately, my pick to reassign the y-axis didn't do anything - the sketch entities were unmoved, and SW warned me I deleted all Vertical/Horizontal relations.  This defeats the point of being able to use V/H relations in the sketch at a new orientation.  Still no ideas - I guess to get this done I have to just do parallel/perpendicular retardedness.  Off to submit an ER...

Jerry Steiger

Jeff,

Face it, your Pro/E loving friends are always going to consider you to be a low-life. Unfortunately, they are correct that SolidWorks doesn't have good tools to control plane or sketch orientation.

Jerry Steiger

Lenny Bucholz

this is a 2D sketch?

If so 2 ways I have done this, first is the sketch modify tool, as long as you haven't added dims or locked any relations to the origin  it will rotate and move your sketch into position and then use relations and dims to lock down. Second if use the 2d to 3d tool to get it into position and then edit sketch and add relations and dims.

the last would be to move\copy sketch entities, which if it has alot of entities is slooooowwwwwww!