11 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2012 2:46 PM by Phil Perlich

submodeling

Jaspreet Hothi

Is there a way to do submodeling in solidworks 2010. I have heard that this feature is added in 2013 but how about 2010. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

JP Hothi P. Eng

• Re: submodeling
          Deepak Gupta

You can create configuration of the required area by doing a cut at part level or assembly and then run the simulation if that helps.

Jaspreet Hothi

I can create the sub model but the problem would be transfer the displacements at the cut boundaries from the global model. Any ideas on how to do this?

Regards

Deepak Gupta

Create the study on the global model but don't run it. Make a copy of the study and change the configuration to submodeling type (using cut extrudes). Now you can change the required settings and run the FEA.

Jaspreet Hothi

Thanks for the information but can please give little more specifics. I tried to copy the study but when I switch to the submodel configuration I cannot paste it there.

Thanks for your help.

Chris Fernald

I am trying to do the same thing.  Analyze the detail of a joint using loads or displacements from a global model.  This suggestion address the geometry, but not how to apply the loads or displacements to the cut faces of the submodel.  I can't seem to extract them easily from the global model.

Any other thoughts on this? 

Jong Lee

Hi Deepak,

I think that is great idea.  But how do I input displacement values into the cut boundary of submodel?

Jong

sandeep pawar

At present you have to apply boundary conditions to sub-model manually. But 2013 they have introduced sub-modeling analysis. Boundary Conditions will be automatically transferred.

Jong Lee

My problem with manual input is to put displacement data at multiple points along a line and I wonder how these data can be used as nodal displacment values by the model.

I am modeling a rectangular plate supported by two structural members along the two sides to be able to reduce plate deflection.   One members is attached to the other only by screws which would substantilly affect the deflection of plate.

Can anyone tell me a way to input a lot of displacement data as a result of uniform pressure on the plate along the edge of the plate in my submodel?

Phil Perlich

Can someone explain what is meant by the term "submodeling?"

Jong Lee

This technique is modeling part of your global model which could be too large or have too many elements to observe the local failure or stress distribution of tiny small parts.  What you do is to take small portion of your main model and run the simulation with only the part of your interest by applying either load or displacements obtained from global model analysis.  It may be called local model.  This techniques is now very popular in FEA world to save time and computing power.