3 Replies Latest reply on May 3, 2012 7:05 PM by Bengt Gustafsson

Turning an IGES files (Curves) into a solid model for basic collision analysis.

Gareth Pugh

Hello, I am a (very!) new user to solidworks and, through the help of some of your members, have been able to import an IGES file of an LNG ship into solidworks.

I have a series of curves, and not much else! I need to turn this into a solid object so that I can model some basic collisions, i.e. a point force on the hull of the ship etc.

I have tried using the "Inset -> Surface -> Fill" method, would this be suitable for producing a solid model? Or is there another method that may be quicker and more effective?

Any assistance you can offer would be massively appreicated!

Many thanks,

Gareth

(P.s. I have uploaded a copy of the file!)

• Re: Turning an IGES files (Curves) into a solid model for basic collision analysis.
          Bill McEachern

Well if you could the surface definition as opposed tot he curves fromthe originating system you could just mesh it and be on your way. You would need to use the curve and build of the new surface definition as it is. I would just make a bunch of 3D sketchs (convert curves to sketch entities so you cna loft he hull as appropriate. Life would be a lot more efficient if "select tangency" was support on these curves. The highl lighting sort of suck as well so hard to just use the curves to make the loft. Good luck but it looks like a bit of work to make it into a sensible number of feature. I would not advise usinghte surface fill and just fill up every patch witha surface. That would lead to a big feature tree. Good luck.

• Re: Turning an IGES files (Curves) into a solid model for basic collision analysis.
            Jerry Steiger

Gareth,

Like Bill, I would not use Fill for most of the surfaces. The Boundary Surface would be the better choice, although sometimes the Loft Surface is preferred. The default for most folks now is Boundary. Fill is very useful when you have an odd shape, such as a triangular patch or a round patch, that is hard to make with the other surfaces.

Jerry Steiger

Bengt Gustafsson

Hi Gareth,

I Agree with Bill and Jerry, there are no quick ways about this one. (Unless your hull-design program can export iges surfaces and not just the curves.)

Some other tips:

Try to think in "half a hull", which will reduce your building time. Once you have completed the one side, it is an easy matter to use mirror for the other side.

For a start, it seems like the individual curves can be used for loft or boundary surfs. Tested some, and with patience it can be done. Had to use a 3d sketch > convert entities at some places.

I deleted the curves on one side, to make things neater. Seems like you can not box-select several curves, they have to be picked one by one. Tip: Make use of the Enter key to repeat last command, that way you can pick-enter-pick-enter after the initial deletion.

//Bengt

2012-05-04 00-39-39.png