7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2012 12:11 PM by Brian Dalton

BUG(?)  Variables in hidden controls deleted on data card update.

Brian Dalton

I spent the better part of a day tracing down this very annoying problem, and I created a test setup in my 'sandbox' vault to verify that it is repeatable.

If a variable is linked to by a data card control and that control is hidden using control logic, it will be deleted under certain circumstances:

If other (visible) variables are updated via transitions, macros, add-ins or other code mechanisms, the 'hidden' variables are not harmed

--HOWEVER--

If a user changes the value of a 'visible' variable by checking out, typing into the data card, saving and checking back in, the values in 'hidden' variables are deleted.

Once again for clarity: change a visible variable through code, hidden variables are OK... change a visible variable via the data card, hidden variables are deleted.

This is such absurd behavior that it must be a bug.  I've verified that it's a repeatable phenomenon and I've unhidden all my system variables for the time being to prevent further data corruption.  I mention it here to see if anybody else has seen this, or if it's a known problem that has been fixed, or if maybe I should report it to SW.

EPDM 2011 sp0

• Re: BUG(?)  Variables in hidden controls deleted on data card update.
          Jason Capriotti

Might be this SPR

SPR 483359 - Values of hidden variables are abnormally cleared when editing data card on EPDM2009SP2

I've been just hiding variables on tabs such that only an admin group can see the tab, then I can edit and the users don't even know its there. If I've hidden something via control logic, its usually not any data I want to store unless the option is checked to show it.

Brian Dalton

That sounds like the issue, but I'll be darned if I can find where you came up with that... I've been searching through every SPR listed from 2009 through 2012 in all products, but nothing about that SPR number whatsoever.  I was hoping to find out if it had been fixed and when.  Obviously it is still screwed up in EPDM 2011 sp0 (my version), but hopefully an undate to a later service pack would fix it.

Could you possibly provide a link to the page where you found that SPR?

As for using tabs, I tried that a couple of weeks ago and for some reason I couldn't get it to work.  I was in a hurry so I just hid them, but now I'll need to go back and figure out how to get the admin only tab thing to work.

Thanks.

Michael Dekoning

Brian,

We've been on EPDM since version 2007. I've never gotten a hidden control to update the associated variable. I always assumed that was by design. In other words, if a variable does not appear it won't be populated. This is actually useful if you have entries that you don't want stored in some cases as Jason alluded to.

So what do I do when I want to store data in an editbox but don't want the user to see it? I make the control height 0. Just remember where it is on the card so you can select it later if you need to!

Mike

EPDM 2011 SP2

Brian Dalton

I'm actually talking about the opposite, Michael... instead of using a hidden control to update a variable, I'm updating the variable through code (macro, add-in, transition action, etc.) and the control only exists because it's required in order for EPDM to create an instance of the associated variable for the files of that type.

The problem is that when I am updating _other_ variables on the same card, and I'm using the data card interface to do it, the variable associated with the hidden control is wiped out.  It only happens when the other (unrelated) variable is updated via the data card, not when it is updated through code.

This seems to be exactly the bug Jason mentions, but I'm still not able to find any info on that bug; when it occurs, if it was fixed, what version/sp is needed to get past it.

EPDM 2011 sp0 clearly still has this bug.  I wish there was some way to get more information on it.