36 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2014 2:06 PM by Gianni Nardoia

SolidWorks Identifier Files

James Bailey

Here are a couple problems that I'm having with SolidWorks as of late - any solutions out there that I've been unable to find?

• Re-reference component while assembly is open - pretty sure that SolidWorks doesn't allow this, but is this something that they could allow or implement?
      • When opening SolidWorks from Windows Explorer, force SolidWorks to only open in one window (rather than creating a new instance of SolidWorks) - this one is especially annoying.
      • Hide file prefixes - whenever I open up a SolidWorks file, a cache file is created in its directory. There must be some way to hide it or at least make it open somewhere else where it isn't in the way. Also, sometimes even after a restart of SolidWorks and my computer, I can't get the cache file to go away (by deleting) - it simply comes back after a successful delete. The prefix is denoted by a "~$" in front of all the cache files.

Thanks!

Update:

I've tried everything from editing the registry, setting the folder options to hide system files and other sorts of files, and I've set other miscellaneous settings such as the taskbar options to always combine.

• Re: SolidWorks Rant
          Alan Stoldt

James,

I may be able to help with some.

1.) Not sure if this is what you are meaning, but:

FILE > RELOAD

File Reload.JPG

Shown on the Assembly Level, also works at part level.

3.) This is a windows setting, not SW.

Folder Options

DO NOT SHOW HIDDEN FILES AND FOLDERS

Tildes.JPG

The files are still there, and they wil be either way, but you wont have to deal with them during a FILE OPEN dialog, etc.

Regards,

Alan

Kelvin Lamport
            • Re-reference component while assembly is open - pretty sure that SolidWorks doesn't allow this, but is this something that they could allow or implement?

Not 100% sure what you are asking here. Do you mean you want to replace a component of an assy with a different component?

• When opening SolidWorks from Windows Explorer, force SolidWorks to only open in one window (rather than creating a new instance of SolidWorks) - this one is especially annoying.

I have never had that happen, but others here have reported the same. I don't believe a solution was ever found.

• Hide file prefixes - whenever I open up a SolidWorks file, a cache file is created in its directory. There must be some way to hide it or at least make it open somewhere else where it isn't in the way. Also, sometimes even after a restart of SolidWorks and my computer, I can't get the cache file to go away (by deleting) - it simply comes back after a successful delete. The prefix is denoted by a "~$" in front of all the cache files.

Open any Windows folder and go to Tools > Folder Options > View and deselect the Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) option.

David Oustifine

Hi James,

1.  can you explain what you mean by re-reference component?  do you mean replace a component with another one?

2. See this thread....

https://forum.solidworks.com/message/128285

3.  to hide the tilde (~) files go to WINDOWS EXPLORER>TOOLS>FOLDER OPTIONS>VIEW tab and check the box for "Hide protected operating system files", this should hide all the tilde (~) reference files from your explorer screen.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

David

Wayne Matus

Not sure what you are talking about for re-reference component. You can reload a component which will reload the component in ram with what is stored on the hard drive. You can also replace a compponent.

I have no problems with double clicking on a file in Windows Explorer it opens the file in the running instance of SolidWorks. WIn 7 Professional x64.

In Windows Explorer set your Folder Options View tab Hidden files and folders to "Dont's show hidden files, folders, or drives"

Josh Brady

The ~$ file is not a cache file.  It is a file that identifies the user who has it open for write access.  It's actually a text file that you can open with Notepad.  This is how SW can tell a user who has write access to the file.  The identifying file has to be created in the same directory as the file.  Otherwise, how the heck would another computer know where to look for the thing?

James Bailey

In regards to "re-referencing", I mean that while I have an assembly open, I'd like to be able to change a component's reference to somewhere else on the drive. The issue that I have is I go to replace component (to the component's new path) and I get an error stating that I can't replace with a component that has the same name. I understand this error, I'm wondering if there's a workaround. The reload that Alan mentioned doesn't seem to be what I'm looking for.

Of course I could simply close out of the assembly, go to open, and then go to references within the open window and re-reference that way, but I'd like to be able to do it within an assembly and while it is open.

--

As far as opening SolidWorks files from Windows Explorer, the link from David's post seems to be for Windows XP and I don't have the option available. .sldprt and other SolidWorks files are checked to open with SolidWorks as they should.

--

And for the 'identifier' files, everyone's solution is to go into folder options and select to hide system files etc. I've tried all of these options and nothing makes them go away (or even hides them). I don't believe that they have a specific file type - as in they have the same SolidWorks Part Document file type as the rest of my parts. The only difference is they are a duplicate of my part file's name with a ~$ in the front.

Here's a link to where I tried getting this resolved before, but to no avail:

https://forum.solidworks.com/message/274841#274841

Thanks for all of the feedback guys!

Kelvin Lamport

In regards to "re-referencing"

With the assy open, open the component you want to re-reference, and do a Save as to another folder. A new part will be created in that other folder and will replace the original in the assy, but the original component will still exist in the original folder.

And for the 'identifier' files

I've just tested on my Win7 x64 system, and the Hide protected operating system file option definitely hides the ~$ prefixed files.

With all programs closed, do a search for ~$.* and delete all that are listed.

FYI ... if you use the Design Library or File Explorer in the Task Pane to access your files, the ~$ prefixed files are not shown, regardless of the Hide... option.

Wayne Matus

If the file is already copied to the other location you can suppress all instances of the component. This will unload the file from ram. Then file open and open the file from the other location. This will load this copy into ram. Now unsuppress all instances of the component. Your assembly now references the component in the other location.

James Bailey

I tried uploading a picture before in my last reply, but the forum wouldn't have it.

In any case, I do have "hide protected operating system files" checked in my folder options which seems to work for everyone but me as far as ~$ files goes.

Erik Bilello

James,

1.  I don't have time to try it right now but I recall in the past what I did in this situation (if I understand this "rant" correctly) was to suppress the part that I wanted to replace in the assembly (and anywhere else it was open of course). Then open the version I wanted to use (same name different location). Unsuppress the part in the assembly and it should now be the open part. This takes advantage of the same "can't have more than one file with the same name in the same place" Windows issue that prevents you from replacing an open file with one of the same name in the first place.

2.  I open SW files from Explorer, and with hyperlinks in Excel, a lot and I don't have that problem often enough to remember the last time it happened.

3.  I almost always have Explorer set to show all files, with extensions.  The ~$s have never bothered me.  Personal preference I guess.  That's why they give you Folder options.  .  . 

On the whole it looks to me like you might do better if you find a Windows forum to rant on.

James Bailey

Erik:

1. I'll have to try that, may be better than closing the entire assembly to re-open it and re-reference the parts that need re-referencing.

2. I do have this issue and it affects more than just having two windows open in my taskbar (which, in itself, is an inconvenience).

3. It's my personal preference to not have 100+ ~$ files crowding my directory at a time. I sort all of my files by File Type in Windows which puts all of these ~$ files at the top of the directory. Sometimes on days where my eyes have been strained from countless hours of SolidWorks I accidentally click on one of these ~$ files which comes up with an error (I don't remember what it says) and it's just another instance of SolidWorks that is engaged that I would have to close.

I've also tried Windows forums regarding the prefix issue thinking it wasn't SolidWorks (and perhaps it isn't), but I figured if anyone is to have this same issue, it would be someone who is using the same program as me (SolidWorks).

Thanks for the feedback.

Erik Bilello

James,

The ~$ is not a SolidWorks specific issue.  If you look you might see them with other file types as well, I do.

Based on Josh's description of their function, I would guess that whether or not they show up might be dependent on the file Permissions, sharing and other such settings.

James Bailey

Erik:

I'm not sure about the file permissions or sharing settings to dictate whether or not they show up, but SolidWorks is the only case in which I've seen this file.

I think I should stress that these files aren't a 'file type', rather, they are the same type of file as the rest of my parts (ending with .sldprt), but instead have ~$ in front of the file name.

For example:

SameFileType.PNG

The scenario here is I have SSOVL 0.10.SLDPRT open in SolidWorks and what is generated is this 1kb 'identifier' file (as per Josh).

I have all options checked in folder options to hide system files etc. and I have even gone through the registry to verify this. Perhaps it has something to do with this file being pulled from the server, but either way, I would simply like to hide it from sight.

One other thing to mention about it is when I close out of SolidWorks it usually disappears as I close its associated file. Though sometimes it stays and I can simply click on it and delete it and it goes away. Other times it doesn't go away and I can't delete it, even on system restart. This issue seems to be arbitrary with no visible pattern so I'm not sure what it might be.

In any case, any idea on what permission settings might do for these?

Thanks.

Erik Bilello

James,

You aren't looking very hard.

Here on my home computer I've get ~$. . . versions of SW, .doc, .txt, .rtf, and .xlsx files.  Knowing what I know of these files from Josh's post earlier (and not much else, Thanks for that info Josh.) I've found that if I open these files with notepad (RMB and select 'Open with.  .  .') they almost all open and the text consists of my computer name, and, depending on the file type and program used to open it, a little bit of other file ID type info. (Note: .txt files opened with LibreOffice get a "~lock.File Name.txt#" file created. Interesting!)

Not every .xlsx file opened creates a ~$ file. The one that is created won't open because it's "in use", I saw the same behavior at work earlier with a ~$filename.xlsx.  Some file types (.pdf and .jpg) don't make ~$ versions no matter what I try opening them with.  Oops, never mind that, try opening a .jpg with Word and see what you get.

My thinking about permissions and sharing is based on the assumption that the purpose of the file is so Windows can let other computers know that the file is open and not available for write access.  Files opened with the 'Open Read-only' option don't seem to make ~$ versions.  The Excel files that don't create ~$ files originated on my Mac and the one that does goes way back to a long ago computer at a long ago job. Different settings in the template I'm thinking.

So, if you don't need them turned on, it may be that telling Windows that your files are not available to others (that's where Permissions and sharing settings come in, I think) would at least minimize the number of ~$ files you get.  On that same note if you are working with big assemblies but don't need write access to all the parts open them read-only and switch to write access only when you need to, that might help too.

One last thing.  I noticed a ~$filename.sldprt for a file that I know I haven't opened for a while, all of the rest of the ~$ disappeared when I closed the related programs.  Don't ask me what makes that file special but it points to the possibility that not every ~$ file goes away when it should, you may be accumulating more than you need for normal op's and that's why you seem overwhelmed by them.  Again, I think this is something where a Windows expert might be more help.  Not that some of the folks on this forum don't know their Windows stuff, but the people who really like to poke around in the OS probably follow other forums more than this one.

James Bailey

Erik:

I think you've assumed a bit more than is necessary. I'm not completely oblivious to how computers (or Windows for that matter) work.

Now I understand that this topic could be redirected to a Windows forum because (honestly it could be a Windows related error), but I've narrowed it down to Windows and SolidWorks. I've opened a number of other windows files along with miscellaneous other files including, but not limited to Microsoft Word documents, Microsoft Excel files, Adobe .pdf files, and a slew of other files all of which have not introduced this 'identifier' file (denoted by a ~$ prefix).

With this being said, since this only shows up for SolidWorks files, I thought it to be relevant to ask this question in a SolidWorks forum.

Back to the pertinent matter at hand - I've had similar findings where the ~$filename.sldprt was still there when I hadn't opened the original file in quite some time. I think I deleted it and it simply went away.

One thing to note is that you can delete these files, but only when the original file isn't open, otherwise they just come back (which is understandable). Again, I'm really only interested in hiding or displacing them, though the latter doesn't seem possible per Josh's advice:

The identifying file has to be created in the same directory as the file.  Otherwise, how the heck would another computer know where to look for the thing?

Thanks.

Walter Fetsch

James, the ~ files are generated for each SW file you open.  It's not a big deal, other apps do the same.

If you have any ~ files lying around when SW is closed, and you probably do, just delete them.  You only get strays when SW crashes.  When it closes normally, they get deleted.

David Oustifine

Nice one Wayne, way to think outside the box.

James, as I suggested the "hide protected operating system files" is the right one to check for the tilde(~) files.  I tested this prior to my posting of the answer.

In regard to the multiple sessions try RMB on the windows taskbar and selecting PROPERTIES and then selecting the drop down for TASKBAR BUTTONS and select ALWAYS COMBINE and see if this clears up your problem.  I don't think its really launching another SW session but rather just showing seperate windows in the taskbar.

Wayne Matus

Back at you on the two icons in the task bar! I had that issue with Excel before, but not SolidWorks.

James Bailey

David:

I tried uploading a picture before in my last reply, but the forum wouldn't have it.

In any case, I do have "hide protected operating system files" checked in my folder options which seems to work for everyone but me as far as ~$ files goes.

And my "always combine" is checked in the taskbar options. I too, at first, thought that it was simply showing two windows of SolidWorks in the taskbar, but not two separate instances. There is indeed two separate instances though because I can't go within SolidWorks up at the top and select the Window drop down menu and select the part I just opened. The problem with this is that whenever I try to open a part up from within an assembly (right-click and open), if it's already opened in another SolidWorks instance then it says another user has it open (me). There are other issues that arise other than that as well so I'd like to figure out a fix.

Thanks.

William Sanders

James Bailey wrote:

As far as opening SolidWorks files from Windows Explorer, the link from David's post seems to be for Windows XP and I don't have the option available. .sldprt and other SolidWorks files are checked to open with SolidWorks as they should.

I've experienced this problem twice, and same as you - the solution from the aforementioned post did not work.   This first time, I completely uninstalled and reinstalled Solidworks per a rigorous procedure.  It happened a year or two later at a difference office, so I contacted my VAR, and this is the solution I received.  Unfortunately I cannot attach the registry file, but your VAR should be able to assist.  If you are completely stuck, send me a private message and I'll see if I'm able to send it to you.

RESOLUTION:

Hi William,

This can happen if the Windows File Extensions have been affected. To reset them, go to the Folder Options from the Tools menu in Windows Explorer and delete the file extensions (.sldprt,.sldasm, and/or .slddrw) that is causing a problem. Then, find a part, assembly or drawing file, right click on it and choose Open with and select SolidWorks from the list.

It can also happen when the shell command called DDE is not properly registered. Sometimes, it can be fixed by executing the attached registry key. If it does not help SolidWorks must be reinstalled with antivirus turned off and using a local administrator account.

I have attached the key in a zip file. Double click it to run once unzipped

Greg Jankowski

James,

A couple of additional suggestions that will help you get your answers quicker:

1. Title - Even if you want to put rant in the title, always follow it by what you talking about some users will have an idea if they want to read it.
                                                  2. Separate the questions into different discussions so they stay one topic and you can figure out what has been answered, and what has not.

Hope this helps.

• Re: SolidWorks Identifier Files
                                                    Michail Stockfelt

Hello

Has any solution to this annoyance appeared? Because I am tired of having to scroll past a long array of ~$ files every time I wish to open a file or add a part to an assembly or such.

I see that most above give the same answer over and over again: hide protected operating systems, don't show hidden files, etc.

Thanks all, but it doesn't seem to work inside Solidworks. At least not when using the PDM system.

This is my work folder when I click "open" in Solidworks:

1.png

Note the settings, as shown when choosing "Organize → Folder and search options" in that same window. Then note the very visible hidden ~$ files, slightly greyed out.

The folder looks exactly the same when I open it with a "regular" Explorer window. Which is in fact a work folder using the Solidworks Enterprise PDM system, so it is not a "regular" Explorer window at all. For starters it has that preview/data card thing at the bottom at all times.

When I copy all the files (including the hidden ones) to a real regular Explorer window (like C:\TEMP\ or such), the settings work and the prefixed files are invisible. I know because when I disable "Don't show hidden files" and so on, they are all there, tilde and all.

This leads me to think that there is a bug of sorts in Solidworks. It does not honor the folder settings, at least not in the PDM windows (which is the only I ever used, so I do not know how things work without PDM). The fact that it forgets my List view setting between every use and defaults to Details view confirms this.

Just saying.

• Re: SolidWorks Identifier Files
                                                      Gianni Nardoia

Hello,

I just notice that for parts which are in c:/users/public .... the temp files ~$.. are not being deleted. The some parts located  in D:/ are treated correctly.

I don't know why but this maybe a starting point for understanding.

bye.