6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 16, 2012 6:42 AM by Scott McFadden

Changing View's config reference results in corrupt FLAT-PATTERN

Chris Chambers

What I want to do..

1. Keep part variations in one part under different configurations

2. Keep part variant drawings in the same drawing each on a separate sheet.

What I'm doing...

1. Create first variant drawing on one or two sheets.

2. Copy and pasting this sheet(s) then changing the config that the views reference to another variant

What happens...

1. Normal views update OK

2. Flat-Pattern view grumbles but will update but then the features contained in the Flatten1 feature in that config will be randomly suppressed. Editing these will get the Flat-Pattern config sorted (i.e. flat) but the Sketch feature Bend-Lines 1 shows the traffic light and will not rebuild. The feature tree in the drawing is red with errors for this config. I can not get a FLAT-PATTERN config that will rebuild and this results in ugly error red feature tree in the drawing yet the errors don't show in the part.

This approach is upsetting SW2010 - how should I be going about this?

• Re: Changing View's config reference results in corrupt FLAT-PATTERN
          Scott McFadden

Chris,
          You never said that I can read how your model works when you change form config to config?

Is that working ok?  Including the flat pattern?

I also want to know why you copying and pasting sheets instead of just creating new sheets and inserting

views and either bringing in the correct config or RCing on the view and changing the properties to the correct config.

Chris Chambers

How the model changes:

The part is a bracket in it's most complex variant has 5 bends. Other variants have different shaped ends and some portions missing (and their bends).

Why copy and paste:

The majority of the features are the same from variant to variant so why replace the same dimensions when you can start with over half the work done.

Creating views from new:

Tried that and I get exactly the same behaviour

Scott McFadden

I get why you are doing what you are doing.  All I am saying is you might

just have to create the views from scratch.  Try it and see if it doesn't

work better or give you the results you are looking for. 

I look at it this way.  With all of the time wasted trying to copy and paste you could

have had the view created and done by now.

Chris Chambers

As I said I have tried the drawing with new views and this doesn't appear to make any difference. My hunch is that the way I originally approached this has caused some corruption in the model. In one case (I have a number of part-drawing combos doing this) even if I delete all drawing views on all sheets then delete all FLAT-PATTERN configs. Save, Exit start again one config of the part always now gives a corrupted FLAT PATTERN with fold lines going off at an angle. With this I can 'teach' the model as I suppress and then unsupress the Flatten features and the fold lines correct themselves. Then in the drawing it remains wrong.

OK so I started over with this model and created a new part and a new drawing and as I went with the model I also created the drawing with numerous sheets. Went between configs made sure it was all really robust as I went. Everything working fine. This morning I open them both up for the firtst time and there are warnings on most of the FLAT-PATTERN features have rebuild errors in the feature tree but the model looks just fine. No change from when I save at the end of the session yesterday and it was all fine.

Tom Smith

I too, have been seeing random suppressed features in the flatten features, in 2012SP2. 

Flats have been driving us bonkers since forever, we are thinking of switching to a "detail the finished part and export dxf's from the model" approach.  Would that work for you, or do you need them on a drawing with a titleblock?

Sometimes we have 10-15 flat patterns in one part file (multibody sheetmetal weldment) and after a few design changes, the only way to get the flats is to export as parasolid, insert bends, and then use those flats on the drawings.

-Tom