8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2012 9:44 AM by John Ehrhardt

2D drawing

Mukesh Prasad

Is there anyway to create a 2D drawing where you can just create sketch entities without having to worry about over defined sketches and unsolvable items? All I want to do is create a 2D layout in drafting that has no relation to any solids or I do not want to add relations.

• Re: 2D drawing
          Rohit Mitra

I'm not sure if this is what you're asking, but you can go into System Options>Relations/Snaps and turn off the "enable snapping" option. this would allow you to sketch with any relations snapping in.

Deepak Gupta

You can use the DraftSight also to do that

Scott McFadden

Mukesh,

You can turn off the automatic relations in tools>options>system options

or you can just sketch in drawing mode or use the old 2D editor or draft sight.

Mukesh Prasad

I know I can turn off automatic relations but for some reason I'm still getting over defined sketch. All I want to do is to draw some simple lines or circle like the old days using just plain 2D commands

Scott,

What do you mean by use the old 2D edittor? Is that an option in SW?

Deepak,

Thanks for your suggestion and I downloaded DS yesterday. After a half hour, I uninstalled it because I did not wanted to spend any more time learning a new software. I spent enough time learning Accu Graph (standalone 2D), SDRC, NX, SolidWorks and now Draftsight??

Scott McFadden

2D editor was the ACAD of Solidworks prior to Draftsight.  I throw it out there

because some users still use it and haven't upgraded to draftsight yet.

Deepak Gupta

I don't think there is so big deal in using DS. It's more or less like AutoCAD. And I believe it'll be really handy for making the 2d layout.

And in case you don't want to use that, I would recommend you to make block s of some basic shapes as per your layout and drop them in the SW drawings. Then you can position them, scale them and do other things as required.

Mark Coville

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for but have you tried insert layout? Or how about sketching in a drawing instead of a part/assembly?

John Ehrhardt

Insert, View, Empty.

This will be a sketched view that is self contained, can be moved around the sheet, does not have a model reference.

I use this for 2D work.  Unfortunately SWK has weaknesses in this area.  Center marks do not behave as well as they do in a model view.  Things may distort until constraints are completed, but we are used to that.

It seems that SWK ignored maintaining the 2D environment.  Going back to translating & offsetting individual pieces, and other stunts in an Autocad environment is difficult.  Using one CAD program would be nice.  Sometimes it is better to do a 2D graphic product with Autocad.  DraftSight table creation has not worked for me.