4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2012 7:24 PM by Paul Kellner

File format for .geo file

Bob Smith

I'm trying to export a mesh from solidworks.  I need to export both surface meshes and solid meshes.  Is .geo the best file format for this?  Looking at the .geo file, it seems like each node is listed as an (x,y,z) coordinate on lines marked ND.  It looks like the EL line lists information about the element, but I'm not quite sure how to decode it.  I'm guessing some of the numbers are node indices, but I can't figure out the rest of the numbers.  Is there information anywhere on the .geo file format and how it saves a mesh?  Alternately, is there another format I can export to with information about the file format available?  I guess I can do .stl for surface meshes, but I'm going to need solid meshes as well.  Thanks.

Joe

• Re: File format for .geo file
          Paul Kellner

When you say you have to export the model, what exactly are you going to do with it?

If you plan to run it in Cosmos/M, NASTRAN, or ANSYS it might be the way to go.

ND,1,0,0,0 places a node numbered 1 at the origin.

ND,,1,0,0 places node number 2 at 1 on the x and 0 on both other axes.

EL defines elements

RC defines real constants

MP defins material properties

This is all documented in the Cosmo/M documentation. Such methods are quite common in the FEA world. ABAQUS, ANSYS, NASTRAN and many others use various text based systems to specify geometry and mesh.

The geometry exports from Simulation are undocumented commands, but if you know something about NURBS you will recognize them as defining NURB curves and surfaces.

The geometry exports also define something called CTs, REGIONS, POLYHEDRA and PARTS, not to be confused with SW entities. They are uneditable. PT, LINES, SURFACES are editable.

geo files are all bases on a single global coordinate system for nodes. But othe CSYS are defined for geometry and load application.

The whole thing is very systematic, but not what you would call user friendly.