1 Reply Latest reply on Mar 9, 2012 6:11 PM by Paul Kellner

Incrementally spaced strain readouts

Mark Dahl

I currently am running a macro that applies a load to the part and then reads the strain in several different direction (through custom coordinate systems) on the squares (there are 8 total). I then incrementally rotate the load around 360 degrees in 5 degree increments, which means I run it a total of 72 times. There is a shrink fit connection which makes the run time quite long. Currently this whole process takes about 6 hours.

1.jpg

I would like to get a complete strain profile along the surface that the squares are in (an accurate strain measurement at an incremental horizontal spacing of around .2 mm). Currently I have two ideas for doing this:

1. Move the rectangle .2 mm with the macro and run analysis. This would be extremely time consuming (probably weeks of run time) if I wish to do it around the 360 rotation (72 angle increments,  70 X increments = 5040 times it would have to be run).
      2. Create a split rectangle at every increment we would like to run, and individually read each rectangle in an analysis. This would mean we still only run the analysis 72 times, but it would probably be more time consuming to take the readings (but still reasonable). What would be very time consuming here would be to set up the model and coding to have split rectangles every .2 mm. An even bigger concern would be that the mesh size would have to be extremely small to get accurate readings on .2 mm rectangles, so that further slows down the analysis. The image below shows 4 rows of 61 squares on each quadrant, for a total of 976 squares. This would be incredibly time consuming to collect the PID of each square and enter it into VBA.

2.jpg

Q: Is there an easier way to get incrementally spaced strain readouts (they must be very accurate – just using the colors on the plots is not an option).