14 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2012 11:05 AM by Wayne Matus

WHERE USED?

David Heverin

In EPDM I would really like to make more use of the "where used" tab but I find it absolutely inconsistant.  On some parts and sub-assemblies I click on the item, select "where used" and get a reliable tree showing me where that item is used.  On others, nothing (nada, butkus, etc..).

Is it me?  Is there some setting somewhere that needs to be switched on?  Or is EPDM just really not good at the function of locating WHERE an item is used?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

D. Heverin

• Re: WHERE USED?
          Jeremy Feist

the most often over-looked part of the where used is the version drop-down. at the bottom of the list is an "all versions" option.

David Heverin

Good point, but in my case this has not been overlooked.......

Still a mystery.

Jeremy Feist

If the where used still doesn't show assemblies that you can confirm use the part, contact your VAR to get it fixed. I doubt we will be able to diagnose it over the forum.

David Heverin

I will contact the VAR, but I think they are becoming a bit impatient with me as a recent response from them on another subject referred me to here. 

Wayne Matus

Tell your VAR that you want a partial refund on your subscription service money you paid them so that you can pay the person who provided you with the support here that they were paid to provide.

Wayne Matus

David, I should have asked you a couple of questions before I made the comment about your VAR.

Did you take any EPDM training classes from your VAR? Did you do your own implementation of EPDM or did your VAR or a Service Provider do it for you.

If the other subject where they referred you to this forum was a "How to" question, then they were not obligated to provide an answer to "How to" questions if the did not provide training or implementation for you.

David Heverin

Wayne,

I have had no training in EPDM administration from my VAR.  I did receive some help from a fellow employee at my company but they decided that he was expendable and allowed him to quit when he asked for better pay.  This individual did the implementation for me, but he is not around anymore to help unscramble the choices that he made which made sense to him at the time.  The VAR rarely, if ever, offers EPDM training because they claim that it is so customizable that general training would not be helpful.  I beleive that is a poor excuse, but it what I have been offered.

I am not sure I agree with your closing statement.  If I am paying for support, what difference does it make if the question is related to a past training class or trying to solve a random SW/EPDM problem?  I am paying for support.  I feel I should receive it.

Wayne Matus

David,

All I am saying is that there is a difference between technical support and training. In my opinion a "How To" question is a training issue more than a technical support. The person that asks the "How To" question does not know how to do something that is covered in a training class. If they would have taken the class they could have answered the question themselves. I do disagree with your VAR to some degree. Most EPDM administration training is sold with the implementation. That is why it is customized for that customer. If they teach that customer only what they need to know to setup their vault the way they want it at that time, then the customer will not know enough to add additionality functionality later on their own. Who's fault is that? It's the VAR and they should answer "How To" questions that would have been answered if the VAR did not customize the class for that customer. In your case, since the VAR does not have a class for you to take, then in my opintion they should be responsible for "How To" questons for any questions that are covered in that class.

Now EPDM is a little different than SolidWorks in that each implementation is different. So some "How To" questions might be related to your specific implementation. If you have a specific question about your specific setup and the VAR did the implementation, they should answer your questions about it.

From what I can read here, your "Where Used" issue is a technical support since you said that even with the Version dropdown list set to All Versions it still does not list all the documents that the file is used in. There is something wrong and it should be reported to your VAR.

Stephen Lapic

Wow.  Just Wow.  Shop around for a new VAR.

Wayne Matus

Does it show up in the other direction, on the Contains tab for the assembly that does not show up in the Where Used tab?

Jason Capriotti

This is one area that still needs work. The "All versions" help but still doesn't give us what's needed.

We change or update part files without updating the assemblies. There are many reasons such as just adding configurations, correcting errors, etc. These operations do not roll a revision. We also revise parts without updating the associated assemblies if the changes are minor......sometimes we simply update tables listing venders. We also have a very complex build to order product so updating the many complex assemblies isn't always an option in the case of these small changes.

In these cases it really breaks the built in where-used function.

Example 1:

Say I have a SolidWorks drawing and part....both checked in as version 1. I then checkout the part to fix a sketch error that was missed or to add a display state for some assembly. Check it back in as version 2. But I didn't checkout and version the drawing so it's still version 1. Now the default where-used tab shows nothing, unless I switch it to "All Versions". It should show the drawing though in my opinion because if I open that drawing, it will open that part (v2) (We always work with the latest files). The "all versions" option works ok for this situation, but not so much for assemblies.

Example 2:

Now say I've used that part v1 in 20 different assemblies. Update part to v2 to fix sketch error. Now where used shows nothing. All Version again to the rescue.....except if that part was removed from one of the assemblies at a later time. I want to see where the part is "currently" used and "All versions" doesn't give you that, you get everywhere that part was ever used at any time.

We need an option to show latest where used. If the children get versioned, show the last known assembly unless it was removed from that assembly.

Assembly v1

Part v1 (Where used shows Assy v1)

Part v2 (Where used shows Assy v1)

Part v3 (Where used shows Assy v1)

Assembly v2 (Removes Part from design)

Part v3 (No longer shows that it's in assembly)

I guess it would also help if we could show "Revision" in the Where-Used and Contains instead of just version. Version means nothing to the people here, Revision is all. Need to be able to create custom columns for these two tabs.

Jeremy Feist

the where used does tell you if is is not used in the latest version of the assemblies - the version column refers to the latest assembly version that the part is used in. it even Bolds the ones where it is not in the latest version of the assembly.

well I was going to add a picture, but that function seems to be broken for now...

Jason Capriotti

The contains will show it that way but I'm not seeing it in the "Where Used" tab.

Now I do see additional information if I select "All versions" then the "Show All" button which helps some. But we don't need the "All Versions" option on when try to view just where it's currently used......in which case it shows nothing.

It's rather odd or inconsistent that the part shows the latest drawing when "All Versions" is selected along with "Show All" but doesn't show it when not veiwing all versions.

Here's the part with All Versions and Show All selected. Drawing v9 (latest) show up even though it was referencing part v6. But that's ok, it shoulsd show it since that's what's current.

Where-used All versions.jpg

Switch to view part v7 instead of All Versions, drawing doesn't show. It should, its still being used by this part.

Where-used Latest part versions.jpg

Switch to the previous version, part v6 which was the version the drawing was last checked in with.

Where-used Previous part version.jpg

For us, this is worse when the part is common list a fastener and used in 100s of assemblies. Show all versions would be overkill. We just want to see which assemblies currently use it, not multiple versions of each assembly. Also, if the part was removed, it shouldn't show, unless I select All versions. Also need an All Revisions option.

Mark Greenwell

Hi David,

Do a search for the thread 'Helpful Programs', this is a very recent thread and has a free 'Where used' macro site to download.

Thanks

Mark (SolidWorks 2012)