63 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2013 1:45 PM by David Lyndaker

How can I turn off Hide keyboard shortcut

Peter Ham

Hi all,

I originally came to post about what I thought was a bug with Solidworks, but I've since decided its more likely a feature (which I would like to turn off!)

For a while, I've been noticing random parts in my assemblies being set to hidden, when I didn't ever remember setting them that way. There was no consistency in what would be hidden, bits I hadn't changed in months would suddenly be hidden. Anyway, I narrowed it down to occuring when I Ctrl-Tab to change windows. Every now and then when I tried to Ctrl-Tab, it would hide whatever part I had selected instead.

After some investigation, it appears that Tab is a shortcut to hide the currently selected part. In my Keyboard Shortcuts, there is nothing set for any of the Hide actions, which I expected it to be listed. I'm 95% certain that I've been pressing Ctrl-Tab, I've done some tests to check its not my sloppy key-pressing, so I'm led to believe that maybe my keyboard is causing the problem.

Anyway, whether its the fault of me, my keyboard, Solidworks or something else, what I really want is to be able to turn the Tab to Hide shortcut off. I rarely hide parts, so I'm quite happy to do away with the shortcut if it saves me from hiding parts that I don't want hidden.

As I say, I've looked in Customize > Keyboard, and nothing hints at Tab being a shortcut.

I've tried to set a random Command to use Tab, but it seems that Tab cannot be set for a shortcut.

Where else should I look?

• Re: How can I turn off Hide keyboard shortcut
          Scott McFadden

Peter,

I use the ctrl-tab all the time.  This is a standard key combo that works in not only Solidworks but other programs as well.

Do you have a programmable keyboard?  Maybe clear that.

Has anything been altered in control panel under the keyboard?

Dan Miel

My tab key does not hide parts so it must not be a short cut on my machine. Have you tried a differant keyboard?

Dan

Tim Ordway

This is the WORST default option ever!  I use Ctrl+Tab to switch open windows quite often and more times than not, it doesn’t recognize the Ctrl and hides an item in an assembly.  Sometimes I don’t catch that it happened and items end up missing in drawing views.  This causes needless time in fixing unintentional hides and lowers my productivity, and I can’t find how to turn it off. 

Paul Somero

Oddly enough, I have the exact opposite issue that everybody is experiencing.

I just found out about the tab to hide parts keyboard shortcut being added in '12 and appear to have disabled it somehow and can't remap the tab key by itself in the keyboard customize menu.  I think I had hide mapped to the h key for a bit, but removed that mapping to use the key for something else.

I guess I don't want it to work if it makes ctrl-tab misbehave because I use that shortcut frequently and it'd be absolutely unacceptable to have it not work as expected.

Robert Williams

Bump!    Just figured out why random parts were mysteriously getting hidden, then found this post...  I use Ctrl-tab at least once a minute, it seems to ignore the Ctrl 1 out of 20 times or so.   I've taken to flipping off my monitors every time it happens, or when SW crashes and I lose 3 hours work.      At least I know this one was an intentional bug.   Thanks SW!

I'm guessing since it's intentional there's not going to be a "fix", ie: giving the option of disabling it?

Glenn Schroeder

Robert,

Welcome to the forum.  And please tell me you aren't going 3 hours without saving.

By the way, to un-hide all hidden parts you can RMB on the assembly name at the top of the tree and choose "Show with Dependents" about halfway down the list.  There are one or two more ways but I think this is the easiest.

Robert Williams

Thanks!  Long time lurker..  I guess I know just enough to be dangerous.     A lot of times I'll have a bunch of parts hidden on purpose, so un-hiding all parts could be even worse..  Usually I catch it when it does it (if I don't see the part disappear on the screen, I'll notice what appears as a lag in switching to the other window and know something happened), and I'll hit Ctrl-Z immediately to undo the hide.

When I was having crash issues with 2011 I got in the habit of saving after literally every sketch or feature change, but that gets old quick.   I could swear I had been saving regularly the other day (at least every half hour), but something happened and I got booted back to the morning.  I had "recovery" enabled, but after spending too long trying to get that to work (it doesn't), I gave up and just re-created the work.  Made sure to disable recovery as well!   So I lost maybe 2 hours of work, a half hour farting with recovery, then an hour to recreate the work.  Always goes faster the 2nd time since you've already designed it once.    I have the reminder set to 5 minutes now, but that causes issues in itself.  If I'm renaming a feature or sketch title when it pops up, I lose half the name because the pop-up takes the keyboard away from entering the text..

2012 has been pretty stable so far, my recent crash issues were caused by the 2011-2012 upgrade; it botched the location of my default templates though they showed OK when I hit "new".   I recently imported some .STEP files, and just blasted through the "cannot find default template" messages without thinking..  The .STEP turned into an .ASM and looked fine, but it turns out it didn't actually create the actual parts behind the .ASM file, even though they were there...  Didn't notice anything wrong 'till I tried to open one of the parts in the .ASM later (which didn't exist of course).   Immediately crashed SW.  I did it a couple times before I realized what was going on...  Once I fixed the default template settings all was good and I haven't had that crash issue anymore.  I'm sure at some point I'll stumble across one of the files I imported before I made the fix though and I'll be flipping off the screen. 

Joe Williams

After reading through every post I can add one little bit of troubleshooting for you, It's NOT your keyboard or sloppy sequencing. I use a 3DConnexion 3D mouse and traditionally map my most used button to Ctrl-Tab. This has been enough of a productivity issue since I installed 2012 for me to spend the time looking for an answer.

Solidworks development team, HELP!    If it causes more problems than it helps then it's not an enhancement, it's a bug.

Glenn Schroeder

Joe,

Welcome to the forum.  I wouldn't call it a bug, but I do wish they'd stop introducing new "enhancements" without giving us the option to turn them off.  There have been a number of similar instances the last few years.

Joe Williams

So I must give credit due to Barbara at 3Dconnexion for this response as she was very helpful and discriptive about why this was a problem and provided a great solution (for me at least) which should carry forward for anyone interested.

In short, Map the "Browse Open Documents" feature to an unused key/key combo.

Below is selectively cut from her response:

<...>

Any of the SolidWorks commands can have shortcuts mapped to them in the Tools - Customize - Keyboard window.

The closest Solidworks command to 'Next Document' is  'Browse Open Documents'.

<...>

1. Go to SolidWorks -Tools - Customize - Keyboard |All Commands - Browse Open Documents 2. Enter an unused keyboard combination - e.g. Ctrl+Alt+9 3. Test the shortcut Ctrl+Alt+9 to verify that it generates 'Browse Open Documents'

<...>

I have been doing this for years with my "M" key for measure, it wasn't until this came up that I've been using the Browse next documents feature. Pick the key of your choice, I have mine mapped to my 3Dmouse which I love by the way. The only catch to this over Ctrl-Tab is sometimes you press it twice or simply select which document you want.

Joe...

Alexander Sand

BUMP!

I use 2013 sp3 and have still not found a way to turn "hide with tab" off.

Solution anyone?

Scott Harms

Even though I really do like SolidWorks overall, I wholeheartedly despise this feature.  I have been a proficient user for over 13 years, and I cannot think of any other “enhancement” in a new version that was harder for me to get around than this one.  If I did not use a Spaceball, it would not be that big of a deal, however (in my opinion) that is not an excuse to impose (by not being able to disable it) a function that some people really do not want.  I really hoped someone would help us by providing a means to shut it off, and just wanted to chime in and add a vote to the "this feature sucks" tally.

John Sweeney

Hi Guys,

We are looking at this now for the next service pack (2013 SP4).  We'll keep you posted.

-John

Robert Williams

Awesome!  Getting back to using SW more the past couple weeks, and this happened at least 6 times in one day..  Doesn't seem to matter how long I hold CTRL before TAB, just seems to randomly occur.  Happens on my work PC and my home-built rig, different keyboards / everything in each system.  Right-click-hide part works for me! 

Jim Wilkinson

Hi Robert,

Out of curiosity, is it perhaps happening if you let go of the CTRL key before letting go of TAB or is the CTRL key definitely still down? I'm just trying to figure out the cause so maybe in the future we can overcome it in a better way than making user's disable/reassign the behavior to a different key.

Thanks,

Jim

Robert Williams

Right.  I can't really figure out what combination causes it.  Just now I tried a whole bunch of times purposely letting go of CTRL before TAB, but couldn't get it to happen.  Even trying to hit CTRL just milliseconds (OK, as fast as my fingers can move anyway! ) before TAB doesn't seem to be causing it..  ie: trying to press them both at the same time but with my CTRL finger slightly lower.   Going back and forth between open assemblies 20-30x in a row didn't cause a part to hide once.    It could be some system resource running in the background (like a particular hard drive or memory access?) at "just" the right time that delays the CTRL key from being accepted..?  As this is my only work PC (and only 1 home PC) I typically have several other programs running besides SW.  (Outlook, Excel, 3D printer software, image viewer, PCB software.. Yikes!  Right now I have 17 separate programs open not counting multiple instances!!)

When it does happen in daily use, it only does a hide and doesn't switch to the other document as well.  Next time I find it happening a lot I'll try either closing all open programs, or rebooting and just opening SW.

Oh - Just thought of another issue who's cause may be related...   Sometimes when editing a part, I'll click a face and hit CTRL-8 to zoom relative to that surface.  When I rotate the part afterwards, I'll find the part has now been extruded 8" (or millimeters).   As if I'd clicked the face and set the extrude feature to 8 units.  Happens less frequently than the Hide issue, but it does happen.   Wierd thing about that is if I click the face and just hit "8" (no CTRL), it goes to change the extrude height, but pops up a text box and needs an <enter> to accept the new value.  But when it happens when I try to hit CTRL-8 it doesn't pop up a text box or require an <enter>, just flips the view then changes the value.  (so I don't know it has changed until I rotate away from that face)   A quick hit of my buddy CTRL-Z fixes it without much thought, but just strange....

John Sweeney

Hi Robert,

Any chance you have a sticky TAB key that is staying depressed after doing a Ctrl+Tab or Alt+Tab key sequence?  Is there anyone you could trade keyboards with for a day to see if it still happens for you?  I wouldn't recommend buying a new keyboard but it may be worth a try to try a different one if you have one available.

Just a thought,

John

Matt Camacho-Cook

Hi John,

For what it's worth I've been having the same ALT+TAB hiding parts problem on my setup too.

For reference:

SolidWorks Premium 2012 x64 SP4.0

Dell Precision T3500

Intel Xeon W3550

12GB Ram

Windows 7 Ultimate SP1

Dell Keyboard KB1421

I recall having problems since the day I upgraded to 2012.  Please let me know if there is other information that would be useful.

Thanks,
                                                          Matt

John Sweeney

HI Guys,

We may not be able to figure out the cause, but the plan is to make these commands customizable so the TAB shortcut key can be un-assigned.  This command shortcut certainly could have been customizable in our original implementation, but the TAB key is considered a "special" key because of the predefined interactions it has in dialogs and other fundamental behaviors, such as, Alt+Tab and Ctrl+Tab which come standard with the operating system.  As such, our original implementation avoided the customization aspect for the command because it would be difficult to allow the TAB key to be reassigned as a regular shortcut key for other commands.  We also did not foresee the issue many of you are seeing with the inadvertant hiding of components.

Our changes planned for 2013 SP4 will allow you to remove the TAB key as a shortcut for the "Hide the Hovered-Over Component" command and will also allow you to assign a new shortcut key if desired. However, because of the special nature of the TAB key we will not allow you to reassign the TAB key as a shortcut for other commands.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Best Regards,

John

Scott Harms

Thank you so much for fixing this.

Peter Ham

Hi John,

I think one of the major issues is that of the 'Tab to Hide' function being active immediately after switching windows. Even when the tab key has not yet been released, components under the mouse are hidden.

I assume that must be an unintentional method of operation. I can think of multiple reasons how that could cause issues.

I'm not quite sure how it would be implemented, but if the tab key has to be released after changing windows, then pressed again to start hiding components, that would reduce the risk of sticky tab keys or slow release of the tab key by a user.

I would also question the way in which moving the mouse over different components while holding Tab causes all of those components to be hidden.

Imagine you Ctrl-Tab to an assembly window, your Ctrl key sticks, and you drag the mouse over the whole assembly. Suddenly you have multiple hidden components to un-hide.

It may be advantageous for others, but my personal prefence would be an individual key press per component to be hidden.

John Sweeney

Hi Guys,

I've added the ability to customize this shortcut off, however, I was monkeying with this a bit more and I was able to reproduce the actual issue where components were being hidden inadvertently with the Ctrl+TAB sequence. So, I've fixed the source of the problem.  It would be great if you guys could leave the customization as-is in SP4 and let us know if you still see the inadvertent hiding of components when using 2013 SP4.  I've tied the fix directly to the Ctrl+Tab sequence because that is where I was able to reproduce the problem.  If you see the issue in other scenarios (or with Ctrl+Tabl) please let us know.

When reproducing it was very difficult to get a component to actually be hidden.  That would explain why most of you don't see the problem and the rest of you only see it sporadically.  The issue shows itself if you perform Ctrl+Tab quickly (less than 100 ms) which means we do not show the "Open Documents" preview dialog.  This quick toggling of the two keys will often result in releasing the Ctrl key before you release the Tab key.  To my surprise, in my personal testing, my fingers tended to do this quite a bit even though my brain thought I was releasing TAB first.  If you are activating an assembly with Ctrl+Tab and your mouse ends up over a component, there is a chance it will execute the "hide hovered-over component" command because the Tab key is still pressed.  I could NOT reproduce the issue unless I exaggerated the hold of the tab key and kept it pressed long after releasing the Ctrl key.  However, depending on the speed of your machine and how quickly it is processing messages, it is possible that a very brief hold of the TAB key could cause the problem.  So, it is tough to reproduce, but I can see the code does allow it to happen.  2013 SP4 should block this from happening.

Keep us posted on what you see...

Best Regards,

John

Jerry Steiger

John,

Nice work!

Many years ago, when I was working on calculators, we did some user testing to see how fast users could hit a single key. The fastest person we tested, who happened to play piano quite a bit, could hit a key a second time in 50 ms after his first hit. Most people were closer to 100 ms.

Jerry S.

John Sweeney

That's interesting... I don't think my fingers are that fast.  In our case its really more about hitting two different keys (Ctrl and Tab) and then releasing them both within 100ms.  That seems doable for the majority of people, but I'd be interested to hear from you guys to know whether you were aware of this subtle behavior.  We added it a bit after creating the fancy preview window of open docs because many of you didn't want to see all the file previews when you simply wanted to switch quickly to the previously active doc.

-John

Peter Ham

Its like the old trick with a stopwatch, ask someone to start then stop the clock as fast as possible.

They will get struggle to get under 0.1sec, while you are able to reach 0.01 at times.

In fact, they are pressing the Start/Stop button twice, while you press Start/Stop then Lap with two seperate fingers.

Back on topic, I would say that hidden components tended to occur when I was in 'fast mode', and wouldn't be at all suprised if my keystrokes were pretty quick /and/or sloppily sequenced.

Tim Ordway

It seems like we see it more when we're working on larger assemblies.  If we don't conciously hold ctrl then hit tab it seems to be more of an issue.  Typically I'll just try to quickly slide my thumb to ctrl and flick tab to switch, especially when I'm just jumping to the assembly for a quick visual on the changes I'm making to a part.  Going too fast seems like it doesn't give the system time to recognize that ctrl is pressed.

I love the idea of being able to toggle it off.  I personally don't hide often enough to need a shortcut key for it.

Thanks

Tim

John Sweeney

Hi Tim,

If you reproduce it regularly with your large assemblies, try 2013 sp4 with no changes and see if the problem goes away.  You can always customize if off  in SP4 or customize it to another key sequence if the problem persists.

Thanks,

John

Jim Wilkinson

Hi Tim,

We are providing the ability to change the customization (either remove Tab from the hiding functionality or assign it to another key). This is a case where you really should never even need that as it should "just work" and with John's latest changes for SP04, we hope that is the case. This, and the fact that tab is a very special key in the OS and applications, is the reason we didn't provide customization in the first place. So, again, we ask that everyone simply try out SP04 and report back whether or not they are still seeing random hiding problems so we can try to track down those cases too if there are any still occurring. Our hope is that there aren't any more cases. But, the customizability is also there in SP04 in case we haven't tackled all the cases and users need to work around it until we do.

This has been a great collaboration with the forum users helping us to track down something that was very hard to reproduce and shouldn't have been happening in the first place but was due to an elusive timing issue. Through the information provided by users, John was able to look at the code to figure out what may be happening based on time delays, etc. I'm just sorry we weren't able to track it down earlier, but this is a good example of where reporting issues early with as much information as possible helps to track things down. We may have been able to catch this as early as 2012 Beta if we had enough examples/discussion/feedback on it then. However, it may have just been one of those things where a you need to chew on it for a while and a light bulb finally went off between John and I on what could be causing it.

I also want to say, we strive to make the system as simple as possible without having customization and options for everything. This is one of those cases where it shouldn't be needed since it shouldn't interfere with any other functionality. If we had options/settings to turn off every new feature/functionality, the options dialog would be 10 times the size it is now (and it is already huge; so huge we had to add search to it) and every feature and dialog in the system would have about 10 times the number of options and settings making the system overly complex. So, it is a delicate balance.

Thanks to everyone in this thread,

Jim

Scott Harms

I have been pretty tied up on a project for a while and had not had a chance to work on this until now.  With 2013 SP4 loaded, my SpaceExplorer (latest driver) behaved exactly the same as it had been prior to your change.  In short, when you are displaying a part, the Spaceball CTRL-TAB macro worked fine (as it had previously).  When you are displaying the assembly however, the macro did not work at all because (I assume) SW was trying to find something to hide – which it repeatedly did when my cursor was over a part as I hit the macro button.  Shutting this function off however yielded perfect results immediately, and now I can seamlessly transition between parts/assemblies just as I had done for years before.  Thank you very much for fixing this.   

Robert Williams

Installed SP4 a few days ago, using SolidWorks a bit today and a few times switching between assemblies when I'm positive I hit Ctrl before Tab (felt it click anyway before hitting Tab) same thing, part under the mouse is Gone.     Still could be faulty keyboard? 

I intentionally used the Tab / Hide shortcut for the first time last week when I had to hide a whole bunch of parts in an assembly to see some buried parts, and it was definitely quicker to hover and hit Tab rather than selecting each part to hide it.  I've re-mapped it to Q and all seems well.