7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2013 11:09 AM by Yuri Maclayen

Part file descriptions disappear from windows explorer. Why?

Mitch Kramer

I have a variety of fasteners.  The file name for each fastener is an assigned a part number (for example:M0-0001-15-4).  The description is the descripton of that fastener(for example:SCREW 1/4-20 X .375 HX CS SS).

Whenever I open any fastener part, in an assembly or by itself, the description disappears from windows explorer (also from the "insert part" browser box).

As soon as i close that part in solidworks, the file descriptions will reappear.

Anybody know why this is happening?

• Re: Part file descriptions disappear from windows explorer. Why?
          Scott McFadden

Mitch,

Are you talking about the description that is found in the properties when you RC on the file?

When you did that did you go to the custom tab?  That tab is supposed to show the custom properties.

Can you post an image of what you are seeing?

Mitch Kramer

Yes, although I simply highlighted the file, then went to the bottom of the window, clicked on "add a description" (blue circle) and entered the info.  But that info still shows up under the "custom" and "details" tab when i RC and go to properties.

You can see the part 15-6 doesn't show a description, but as soon as I close that part in solidworks... it pops right up.

In case it matters, the descriptions are hidden from other computers on my network while opened in my, or their solidwoks too.  And the descriptions are present and correct if I do a bill of materials on an assembly containing one of the parts. 

also, I think there is a way to edit the description from inside solidworks. If you could show me how, I think that may also solve my problem.

Capture.JPG

Scott McFadden

The description property in SW is different from the one you are seeing in windows explorer I believe.

As far as setting up the description in SW go to file>properties and under the custom tab you will see the chart.

If you select the down arrow under the first cell in the first column there is a drop down and one of the selections is description.

This one is a SW system property.  Then just fill in a value for it.  This value can then be used to populate your drawing title blocks along with other created properties.

Mitch Kramer

I believe that the SW properties you mentioned are the same as the windows explorer ones since in SW the full desription was already there.  Plus deleting it and retypeing it didn't help my cause at all.

This is where I was after File>Properties

Capture.JPG

after saving, exiting, and reopening, i still have the problem

Scott McFadden

Mitch,

My appologies.  I was thinking of a different description in the windows properties.

I have never experimented with this before.  I have looked at the properties in windows explorer

and have known that the custom tab was there, but never from the stand point that it disapeared

when the file was open.  So I tried it and the same thing happened to me.  When I had the file open

in SW the custom tab was not there.

CUP CP2.jpg

But when I closed it it was.

CUP CP.jpg

The reason I think this is happening is because you can modify these properties

in both locations they can only be open in one at a given time, because if they

opened up in both at the same time there would be a conflict of interest.

Paul Somero

1. In Windows Explorer, right click on one of the column headers and click More... at the bottom of the context menu.

2. In the Choose Details menu, scroll down to Description in the Details list box.  You'll see two Description items in the list.

3. There's no real way to tell which Description selection is the right one reliably, so I just leave both columns enabled.  Windows seems to switch the order of the two at random, so you don't always get the right column every time you launch a new instance of Windows Explorer it seems.

WHY DID THEY CHOOSE A COLUMN NAME THAT IS ALREADY USED IN WINDOWS BY DEFAULT?!?! 

SWDescription or something along those lines would make so much more sense.