5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2012 9:51 AM by Tanner Moore

Translation error between departments

Tanner Moore

Good day,

I've recently encountered an issue where I opened an assembly in EPDM and the assembly did not appear on my terminal (in the manufacturing department) as it did in the design department. For the sake of trying, I had our IT deparment remove permission restrictions and upon doing that, the assembly appeared as it ought to have (it resembled the assembly as it was displayed in design). However that approach only satisfies curiosity and for our application renders EPDM irrelevant because now the manufacturing department can access files that are not approved.

Does anyone have experience with translation errors with assemblies or even parts between departments within a company? I suppose it is worth noting that I did "Get Latest Version" before attempting to open the assembly. As it turns out the parts I programmed for our CNC machine were correct (I work from the .slddrw file). It just happened that the assembly was not correctly represented.

If I can provide any more details on the subject please let me know. Thanks.

• Re: Translation error between departments
          Stephen Lapic

Tanner;

Was what you see in the Design Department released?  I know that in my company only engineering can see work in progress and something that you think might be released could just be approved and no one actually moved it into the released state yet.

Tanner Moore

Stephen,

According to our design department, there is no released state for parts. What I've been told is that parts/assemblies/drawings are either approved or not approved. Is it possible we are using a simplified version of EPDM?

Wayne Matus

Tanner,

The issue could be if the "Show working versions of files" folder permissions for users. If a user does not have this permission, they will only see Revisions, not versions.

So if someone in engineering has this permission and adds a component to an assembly and checks the assembly in, incrementing the version but not bumping the revision, someone in manufacturing that does not have this permission would not see this version and would see the previous revision without the new component.

Stephen Lapic

Tanner;

What I was referring to were the permissions.  It would make sense to have manufacturing set with the permission "show working versions of files" not checked.  This way you would only be working/seeing "released" versions of models and drawings.

What is "released" depends on the workflow of your models and drawings.  We have lots of states in lots of workflows and many of our drawings move in and out of different ones depending on the situation.  But, generally speaking, released would be a state that increments the revision, usually at the end of the workflow with no other transitions to a new state.  So if your design departments workflow has the final state called approved that bumps up the revision then that would be the state that would no longer make it a working version.

If their states and permissions are fine and the reason you are not getting the latest is not apparent then I would have them contact their VAR to assist.

Tanner Moore

Stephen,

Thanks for clarifying. As you can tell I am still mostly unfamiliar with the workings of EPDM so my grasp on terminology is mediocre at best. I will pass on the information you've provided at let the design manager and IT review the details to see if any configurations need to be changed. With any luck this will take care of the issue. If it persists, I'll be sure to record any new details and provide them here for further examination.

Thanks again.