7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 7, 2012 4:14 AM by Ben Frearson

Sketches/part hidden, but still present?!

Ben Frearson

HI,

I created a set of drawings using our regular template for an assembly. I noticed something was odd when I was dimensioning the model, and the dimensions would sometimes snap and dimension points that weren't visible in the view. I initially ignored it as something to look at later.

However, when I exported the drawings as DWGs, there were a load of sketches present which weren't shown in the SW drawing.

All our models are driven from a skeleton part filled with sketches. This is inserted into an assembly, and features are driven from this skeleton part. When I created the drawing, I hid the skeleton part within the assembly, which is what we normally do. It looks like the sketches though, are persistently there, regardless of whether the part is hidden or shown.

The part is also set to hidden in the drawing view properties, so I don't understand why the sketches are still present.

As a test, I showed the skeleton part in the assembly, and the drawing now shows the sketches, even with the part hidden (selected in the "Hide/Show Components" tab in the view properties). I can select each sketch and hide each one in turn, but I don't want to do that, and we have never had to do that before. Also, suppressing the part stops the sketches appearing in the DWG (which is my workaround for now), but doing this indicates that some of the drawing dimensions snapped to the invisible sketches, rather than the features they were driven from, so they lose their references. I thought it might be the "show hidden edges" option, but that isn't available for the skeleton part when I RC it. Presumably because there are no features/bodies in that part, only sketches.

What I think may be happening (I may be wrong), is that the sketch visibility isn't being affected by the part visibility in the drawing. The model behaves fine, and the visible sketches aren't the converted ones in the features (there are some sketches that aren't driving anything which are visible).

I thought it might just be a setting, but I can't seem to find anything that could make it do this. My collague and I are both stumped. I've contacted my VAR, but I thought it'd be worth asking here too.

Thanks

Ben

• Re: Sketches/part hidden, but still present?!
          John Stoltzfus

Good morning Ben,

I also run into the same issue, but I always went back to the skeleton sketch and hid all the sketches, which is something you probably do anyway because if you show all the sketches it would be impossible to see an individual sketch.

When you export to DWG, there should be a dialog box that comes up that gives you a choice which lines that you want to export.

Did you check the Options/Sketch/Relation/Snaps, I'm not really sure if you want to uncheck the snap points?

Did this just start happening when you upgraded??

Later,

John

• Re: Sketches/part hidden, but still present?!
              Ben Frearson

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply.

Looking back at some of our previous drawings (most drawn by my colleagues), it looks like i the drawing, the sketches are all hidden and the part is shown depending on what the display state of the assembly is.

However, I don't recall doing this myself in drawings. Maybe I do it without giving it any consideration, but it does seem odd that I've never ran into it before. It also doesn't seem right that if the part is hidden in the assembly, I therefore can't open it in the feature manager in the drawing to show/hide sketches - they're not visible in SW, but appear on the DWG, and I can still snap/select/dimension to them, even though they aren't shown!

I'm not sure where that dialog appears. I click Save As... DWG, and then a mapping dialog appears. I'm still on SW11, we've not upgraded yet. I still want to keep the layer that they're put on, because that contains tangent edges, hidden lines, etc.

It's certainly odd that you can have a drawing that looks perfect in SW but produces something different in the DWG, and the drawing behaviour needs to be set in the assembly! In order to get SW to show what the DWG will show, I need to have the skeleton part visible in the assembly when I begin my drawing, which is odd because by the time the model is ready for drawings/release, the skeleton part is likely to be hidden!