9 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2018 4:44 PM by Britt Kessler

how do i join a user group?

Anthony Macke

i found my local user group, but am failing miserably at finding a way to register with that user group so that i recieve e-mail alerts for meetings and such.

any help is appreciated in advance.

thank you

• Re: how do i join a user group?
          Anthony Macke

i figured it out!

haha

had to find the user group on the forums and click the "join group" button.

i was originally trying to join from the "Solidworks User Groups Network" website, which resulted in no success

Peter De Vlieger

6 years later and this is still the same deal.

Would it really be that hard to at least mention that on the "Solidworks User Groups Network" website how to register with a group if it's beyond their capability to offer a registering possibility on the website itself ?

Finding the group itself on the forums isn't exactly straightforward either.

Partly because it isn't because you can find a group on the SUGN website that there for there is an actual group.

When I couldn't find anything about the group on the forum I dug a bit deeper and ...

and yes, that's the only Anant Jindal registered on the forum. So someone that barely registered for the forum 3 years ago, not ever doing anything on the forum at some point created a group that doesn't look like it ever did anything and it still gets mentioned on the SUGN website.

There's no active SUG in my country and the closest one (approx. 200km. away) is in the neighbouring country of the Netherlands.

I know in the US the distance of 200km is considered peanuts but in the very densely populated low countries that can easily mean an one way 4 hour Freeway journey if traffic is bad.

All this came about because of the fully automated survey I received about SUGN. A survey that in other words just isn't applicable.

Btw, there are no SUG in France nor Germany nor Luxembourg (other neighbouring countries) so the next closest one is in London UK, which would involve taking the train to cross the channel and depending of the time of day would easily take me in excess of 5 hours. The UK groups seem to be non active.

How in this day and age, with all the computer power available, nobody can be bothered to at least have a resemblance of personalizing the lists for surveys so that they only get addressed to those that it can apply to is beyond me. All they had to do is de-select those contacts that are in a country without SUGN's  For Europe that would pretty much leave only UK and the Netherlands, although it kind of looks like those groups are rather non existent either.

If and when SUG's have virtual meetings or permit watching recordings of presentations that would be a game changer but until then..... SUG's are in general clearly not a thing in Europe.

John Wayman

Peter,

There are thousands of users in UK, as I am sure there are in Belgium. I agree that it seems inconceivable that there are no user groups in amongst all those users.

I see there is one in London, but, like you, that is 3 hours each way on a good day, with a following wind.

I would have thought there was some benefit in starting regional user groups linked to a particular VAR. They have facilities, databases of names, knowledge and a vested interest in making it successful.

I'm surprised they don't run them.

I'll suggest it next time my VAR visits me with arms full of Solidworks goodies to give away!

Cheers,

John

Deepak Gupta

Peter De Vlieger wrote:

There's no active SUG in my country and the closest one (approx. 200km. away) is in the neighbouring country of the Netherlands.

I know in the US the distance of 200km is considered peanuts but in the very densely populated low countries that can easily mean an one way 4 hour Freeway journey if traffic is bad.

Why don't you start a one in your area and take the lead?

Peter De Vlieger

The reasons I don't start one myself are

1/ because all that I do in Solidworks is in function of using piping.

In other words except of some basic weldement use as well as basic general 3D modeling I have no real experience in Solidworks except for piping. And seeing that piping is only a fraction of the routing users and the amount of routing users are only a subsection of the SW Premium users there's not that much that I can convey that would be of general interest or that much I can be informed about that I would actually use.

2/

Nor do I feel the need of socializing and shooting the breeze with fellow users.Call me weird but I like spending time with my wife.

3/

Years ago I was the treasurer of my local chess club and there for I know how difficult it can be, and how time consuming,  to have members of a group actually show up and do something in their spare time even if it's something they actually like doing in their spare time such as playing chess.

4/

As hinted at earlier, in Europe and especially in the low countries, people don't tend to travel further then 60km's just for a short meeting which limits the size of a potential group pretty drastically.

5/

There for putting in the time and effort for a core group that would be barely large enough to play some poker wouldn't exactly be in

If not for gaining knowledge that is directly usable for my job what would be the advantage to me?

Prestige? Alexander The Great conquered the known world by age 32. Me leading a SUG seems rather petty compared to that don't you think?

Having free admittance to SWW? Something that I would have to personally spend a couple of thousand of Euro's on for travel. Nah, thank you. I pass.

Steve Calvert

I know Dover Fueling Solutions has user (new to Solidworks) in Bladel and I was hoping to get them to get involved in their user group if it's close by.  I'm sure Richard Doyle would love another reason to travel to Europe.  Can you help start one near you?

Steve C

Britt Kessler

Well, just because a SUG is not active here on the forums, doesn't mean the group isn't actively having meetings, etc. The group here in Seattle is very active, but I do not see them using the SUG functionality here on the forums for some reason.

If the SUG part of the forums isn't active, then maybe it needs to be updated to be more useful...maybe convert it to an app of some kind that lets SUG leaders keep in touch with members? ...SolidWorks could include a newsfeed / announcement feature. You could bring up the app on your phone to keep tabs on SolidWorks World conference, etc.