5 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2012 6:23 PM by Jerry Steiger

Model of rubber transition between 2 features

Robert Brookover

Hi,

Not sure if the Surfacing area is the proper place for this question, or perhaps the plastics area, or some other area? - if not, then let me know & I can move it to the proper place. 

Anyway, I am modeling a button which is offset from the main feature.  The transition between the button & the main feature is rubber, such that when the user depresses the button, the rubber allows it to move. 

You can see from the pics I posted, 1 is an actual photograph of what I'm trying to emulate in modeling (it's actually a "Wet-Nap" box), the 2nd pic shows the approach I started taking in modelng it, as I used 2 concentric & offset slots (1 for the hole, the other for the button protrusion).  And the 3rd pic is a screenshot of how I modeled it using to concentric & offset slots.  I also created an arc sketch on a place through the mid-point of these features, because I thought I could use that as some sort of "guide curve" for a revolved loft of some sort?  I'm not sure if would do this as a revolve, a loft, a sweep, some sort of "surfacing" commands (and which ones) - I don't know, that's why I'm here asking the question.

So, as I said, not if this is a surfacing question, or a plastics question, which is 1 of the reasons I'm not sure how to approach this. 

Button_wout_Profiles.JPGButton_w_Profiles.JPGSW_Model_of_Button.jpg

Thanks in advance,

Rob

• Re: Model of rubber transition between 2 features
          Robert Brookover

OK, so in the interim of 1 of you gurus explaining the proper way, I kept on trucking, and eventually came up w/ this (attached). 

I cut a thru slotted hole in the base part.  Then, I made a new sketch on the plane which is the bottom surface of the base part - that sketch was basically a "convert entities" where I converted the slot sketch which was used to cut the hole.  I also offset a smaller concentric slot onto a plane a specified distance above the top surface of the base part. 

Then, I lofted from the sketch on the bottom surface of the base part, to the offset plane sketch.  Then, I shelled this out. 

What that did was it made it look like the feature (ie, in this case, rubber) was attached from the bottom surface to the top edge of the offset slot.  (what I'm talking about can be seen in the attachment easier than trying to explain in words). 

This might not be the "proper" way, and I'm sure it can't be manufactured, but for now, until someone chimes in w/ some assistance in the proper technique - I'm going to move on to the next things I'm trying to do. 

I just wanted to post this in case anyone was having similar issues, and in the hopes it can spur some ideas!!

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Button_My_1st_Attempt.jpg