8 Replies Latest reply on Apr 30, 2012 11:40 AM by wing shing air flow

Can I use two or more computers in my network to solve a simulation?

Fabricio Leinat

Hello all,

Recently I've seen people using clusters with two or more computers in a network to solve simulations.

Have you idea how to do this in solidworks?

• Re: Can I use two or more computers in my network to solve a simulation?
          Ravi Teja

Hi Fabricio,

Flow Simulation supports network solving.I havent tried it but this is were you find.

1. After all the Boundary condition etc are applied .CLick on RUN (For starting simulation).

2. In RUN window under "CPU and MEMORY Usage" select "Add Computers".This will show you computers on networ.

Regards
          Ravi T

Todd Frahm

What sort of time reduction might I be looking at when incorporating a simulation 'farm'?

I have just been hired here and am looking at upgrading engineering workstations so they can perform the simulations in a more timely / effecient manner.  Right now, I've been told that some of the simulations may run into the 8hr range (on a pretty good "not great" workstation -- upgraded this week).  I'm hoping to either offload that work onto the 'farm' and/or find a solution to cut that timeframe down as much as possible.  As it is only my third day here I'm not sure about the proper installation and configuration of the Solidworks software (temp files, the PDM/folders, revisions, ...), learning (and asking stupid questions) as I go.

I guess we are going to be upgrade the application and licensing manager to 2012 this week too.  That 'first week' is always the 'killer' isn't it.

At what point does the number of machines participating in the cluster 'farm' start to not make much of a performance difference?
              Can simulation jobs be queued? If so, how is error handling dealt with in a queue (is everything held up until error is acknowledged and job is continued/cancelled)?

Any and all links to topics discussing this information are greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help, it's appreciated.

Todd

Garrett Casey

Does regular simulation support offloading simulation tasks?

Rohit Mitra

Take a look at the charts in this forum post. https://forum.solidworks.com/message/273441#273441

You won't gain much in speed if you already have a quad core or more core cpu.

wing shing air flow

I think my VAR told me that you will need atleast 2 active flow licenses to run any parallel CFD projects. Also i have a HP z600 system with the following specs:

-dual Xeon 5650 @ 24 threads in HT mode

- SAS at Raid 0

- 24GB ECC ram

I am always running my system at 100% capacity because I run HVAC simulation projects. During meshing SW only takes one thread but during calculations it will take all 24 threads. You might argue that I should disable the HT mode but I have a feeling the performance will be about the same but there will be more equations can be processed at once. (but 24 threads dioes shortens my time by atleast half.)

My projects varies from 50,000 to 5,000,000 cells but at 5,000,000 cells I will run into problems such as insufficient RAM capacity and will take me. However for many regular sized projects, I think a SAS HDD, 24GB RAM, a very fast cpu is enough. I will not perfer SSD because it is not designed for constant reading and writing. (unless you are using the new SSD which are designed for data servers)