AnsweredAssumed Answered

In context references reverting back to original assy and other problems

Question asked by Mike Price on Mar 1, 2012
Latest reply on Dec 9, 2015 by Bo Pedersen

Hi all,

Having a bit of an issue here................well, a really big issue.

Here is my problem.  I created an assy months ago.  I created a new part within the assy and then saved it as an external part.  Renamed the assy and the part months ago.  I renamed the assy and the part appropriately and had no problems with the assy and part recognizing that the part had in context references to the assy.

Just now today I opened the part.  The in context references are now pointing to the very original assy/part configuration.  In other words, I created an assy and before I named the assy, I inserted a new part into the assy.  THE SAME NAMES ARE EVEN THERE.  However, as you can see, it doesn't recognized an external assy as being referenced in the dialog.

in context.jpg

I am going to make a statement here.  I know what I am doing when it comes to in context referencing, etc.  Please let me know if you have seen something like this and you know what I am talking about and if there is any resolution to it.

My first attempt to fix:

Go into SW explorer and point the part to the assy.  However, it was already pointing to it.  I even tried switching the part's reference assy to something else and then switching it back konwing this was a Solidworks hiccup.  It wouldn't even let me change the parts reference assy.............

2nd attempt to fix:

Bite the bullet and break all the references.  Even after I do that, it still is pointing to the Part1^Assem1 reference and it won't let me saying I can't create multiple assy in-context references (although I do have the option checked that allows me to create in context references in multiple assy's on the same part.

I have 6 other parts in this assy that are created in a similar fashion and they are ok.

Thanks,

Mike

Outcomes