2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2012 8:28 PM by 1-4EQZK9

Having trouble thickening a surface.

Mitch Kramer

I am trying to model an electric guitar body.

I have the entire body drawn in surfaces (i can knit and make it solid)

but i don't want a solid body, instead i want a body that is roughly 3mm thick.

I have attatched 2 pictures trying to show what i am working with.  The line i have drawn in the zoomed-out picture shows about where the section view is for the other picture.

I had the solid body of the guitar all nicely done, but deleted he back face in order to get inside and thicken the walls

All of the edges are nicely rounded. There are no sharp corners anywhere.  I think that the problem is with the piece that overhanges (upper left side of the section view). 

When i click "thicken" the preview shows up very nicely but i always get the, "unable to thicken surface" errror.

Even if i don't delete the back face and try to shell the solid body i get a strange problem as seen in the third picture.

After getting the error that says something about minimum curvature is too small, the shell procedes to work fine, except for that overhange part.  And you can see that the two green lines remainded surfaces while the rest was shelled.

and the outer green line is a part of a face i had deleted eariler in order to loft that curver overhange section.  For whatever reason the shell makes it come back.

I would have no problem sending this to anyone if you want to try to mess around with it yourself.

any help would be greatly appreciated!

• Re: Having trouble thickening a surface.
          Dave Klimas

You can attach the model to your post.

• Re: Having trouble thickening a surface.

Hi Mitch,

I very rarely chose to use thicken, that is a open surface body.

You'd be much better off creating a closed surface quilt (or a planar face at the mirror plane), and then using thicken with the "try to make solid" option. From there you can then use the shell feature to get your wall thickness - and you aren't required to specify a remove face, if you don't want to.

the problem with thicken a surface quite is that it will fail (or give unexpected results) because it's creating additon side walls (3mm) in the process and these are totally dependent on the normal of the surface at that point. Some times the thicken surface will produce self-intersection because of this.

Regards

Mark