AnsweredAssumed Answered

Preferred setup

Question asked by Todd Frahm on Feb 28, 2012
Latest reply on May 4, 2012 by Jerry Steiger

I've just recently been hired by an organization with three engineers using SolidWorks.  I'm looking to evaluate their operating environment, as some of the models seem to take longer to run that I'd expect.  Though, my background is in I/T, I'm hoping to make their lives a bit easier by getting them adequate hardware and network support.

Right now, being the new guy, I'm going to use my *new* PC to replace one of the older engineering units and would appreciate a typical package setup that would provide the best performance.  I haven't started yet, not until March 1st, so my knowledge of what they've got (other than what's been told to me by the engineers) is limited.

What I know:

They are running HP Machines (the corporate standard) Xeon 2.xghz with 8GB ram and HP standard drives (department leader didn't think they went to the 10,000rpm drives and knows they aren't currently using any SSDs).   They are also running over a 10mbit ethernet (not opposed to convincing them to go giganet if there is a performance difference - only about 20 workstations on this net atm, and most are office/support machines so not a whole lot of demand on the network right now).  From what I've been told, their software and licensing is running from the server (in the same building, on the same sub-net).  They are on a Windows network using Windows 7 64-bit on the workstations.  Most of the time consuming processes, from what I've been told, is the flow simulations with FEA.

So, first for the next machine, anything specifically in the HP lineup I should be looking for in a $2000ish machine?

Given this machine, what would be an optimal configuration for software (RAM drives, SSD work/OS drives, max RAM...etc).

Thanks for your time and ideas.  I'm sorry it is so generic, but I'm hoping to land running as addressing the computer purchase will be the first priority.

Todd

Outcomes