9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2012 4:55 AM by Chris Freshman

Drive works - Problem with drawings

Chris Freshman

Hi,

i know driveworks isnt necessarily solidowrks but i was hoping someone may be able to help (i am trying to post this in the driveworks forums but i still havnt recieved my activation email )

When setting up a part using driveowrks express i am setting my rules to rename the part, however the associated drawing seems to lose its link (see screen shot below)

Capture.PNG

Cheers for any help

Chris

• Re: Drive works - Problem with drawings
          Scott McFadden

Chris,

At my last job we were just setting up drive works in our templates.  I know that the drawing templates

needed to be setup with predefined views.

Your image is a little small and I can't make out the error lines.

Are you having issues with the custom properties?  I created the drawing templates and they were normal

properties between the part template and the drawing templates and I know using driveworks none of these

properties needed to be changed.

Chris Freshman

Hi,

All the properties and things would be fine but as its going throught the procedure. the first error says that the original part reference by the drawing cannot be replaced by the new one created with driveworks. and then the second error says its unable to find the part.

the annoying thing is i have had it work on a previous set-up but now seems to throw up an error

Scott McFadden

I was never aware that driveworks allowed the replacement of parts.

When I was exposed to it it was impressed on me that it was a one shot deal.

We has issues with drive works in trying to get the mathcad calculations to interact

with it.

Maria Sarkar

Hi Scott,

DriveWorksXpress does not allow for the replacement of parts or assemblies. I think that the mention of replacement in the above screen shot is referring to replacing the Model reference in the Drawing views.

However static replacements using standard parts/assemblies and driven replacements using newly related variations of parts/assemblies is functionality that exists in both DriveWorks Solo and DriveWorks Pro.

What exactly are you trying to do with Mathcad?

Cheers

Maria

Scott McFadden

Hi Maria,

That is what I thought about the replacement of parts.

Thanks for the confirmation.  My only exposure to driveworks was at my last job.

Wasn't too impressed with it.  I mean it did what it was supposed to do, but being someone

that likes to create I hate the thought of robotic creation using a CAD software and that is

exactly how they were using it.  As far as the Mathcad goes they used it in giving the input of various

constraints when it came to hydraulic cylinder design.

Abi Young

Have you tried using the data management ool to check that DW is pointing to the right files and not a copy or something?

Maria Sarkar

Hi Chris,

The support for DriveWorksXpress is handled by every SolidWorks Reseller as it is a SolidWorks product, so this is exactly the right place to put your question J. However if you are wanting more technical support then you should contact your SolidWorks Reseller Support Team.

The warning that you are seeing is a direct report from SolidWorks and it normally indicates a missing reference.

The replacement that is mentioned in the warning is the replacement of the drawing view reference and not that of a replacement model.

Below are a few things to try:

Are you able open both the master Drawing and the Drawing that DriveWorks created?

On opening the Master Drawing check the references that the Drawing has, are they the correct one’s and do they exist?

Cheers

Maria