18 Replies Latest reply on Feb 29, 2012 4:16 AM by Daniel Hunter

Datacard edit box query

Daniel Hunter

How can I have a edit box present on two different controlled by variable tabs and it update across both of these if edited? 

Currently when a user enters data in this edit box and saves, once they refresh / click back on file data is missing....  My VAR has been supporting me with this issue and we have now identified that this is seemingly my problem.  What we established is that it seemingly updates the datacard with the information which is found on the 'first tab' which in my case tends to be blank.  So if the second tab is the one associated with the document and you look to modify the data within a shared edit box.  It then updates off the first controlled tab and hence wipes the updated data.

• Re: Datacard edit box query
          Andries Koorzen

Hi Daniel.

Please make sure that the 'updates all configurations' tick box is ticked

This will ensure that all configurations (and the custom properties '@' tab) is updated when editing a field in the datacard.

Please make sure also to only edit fields on the datacard and not on the custom property tab (inside solidworks) as the 'updates all configs' only work in EPDM. It will not 'update all' when editing a property inside the property tab inside SW

Daniel Hunter

Unfortunately this doesn't work, not in this situation Andries.

I tried toggling the 'updates all configurations' tick box when testing with my VAR and results were seen to be the same.  Data looks to save, ie button disappears but once refreshed it's gone.

Sid SW

Hi Daniel,

have you tried toggling with "Default Overwrites" check box option in car editor?

Andries Koorzen

Hi Daniel.

Could you explain a little more what you mean by

'button dissappears but once refreshed it's gone'

?

Let me get this correct:

• You update a value in the datacard.
                    • Hit the save button.
                    • Click away from the file,
                    • select it again,
                    • and the field is empty?

If the 'updates all configs' does not work, perhaps there is some other control which influences the card value. Can you post a screenshot of the actual field in the datacard when in the card editor (along with the properties for the field on the right hand sidfe?)

I have done quite a number of EPDM implementations myself, and this functionality has never failed me. What version / SP of EPDM are you on?

Also -> is there an input formula linked to this variable in the datacard?

That sounds like a client / sql problem, not an EPDM problem (i stand to be corrected, but this sounds VERY fishy)

@Sid. The 'default' overwrites is only for new values. Basically it will generate a new value and overwrite any existing values in the variable field. This is useful for serial number generation during the copy tree command

Daniel Hunter

I think I have got this working. 

Let me get this correct:

• You update a value in the datacard.
                        • Hit the save button.
                        • Click away from the file,
                        • select it again,
                        • and the field is empty? 

Exactly right as your above comments Andries.  Apologies I meant the save icon fades, i.e. it looks to have actively saved.  Then as per above stages result is that the field is still empty.

Again with the VAR we had tried using the 'default overwrites' with no such luck.  We then tried an input formula for the second card to show effectively it is = to the first card.  This didn't work either, but since it seems as though it is the first tab that is potentially driving the second I just literally tried applying the rule on this variable too.  This has now worked.  It was the decription variable that I was having issues with.

See screenshot for what now appears to be working method.  The properties apply to the variable for description contained on the EC Form tab too.

forum.jpg

Thanks for the help guys.

Tim Read

Why are you using an input formula to populate the Variable?

If you put the exact same box on both Tabs then entering information on one Tab will show up on the other...

Andries Koorzen

Yes I agree with TIm. You don't need an input formula to drive the 2....If you remove the input formula and then tick 'updates all configurations' then it will populate both

hope this helps

Daniel Hunter

Just tried removing the formula only for this not to work again.  I then applied the 'updates in all configurations' again without the formula present and still the same result. 

I'm not necessarily saying this is 100% the correct way in which this should be working.  However it is certainly the only way I can get this variable to update in my situation; to use the formula on both variables. 

Tim Read

Is one of the "Description" fields set to "Read Only"?

Andries Koorzen

Hi Daniel.

Just a quick question.. when you say:

However it is certainly the only way I can get this variable to update in my situation; to use the formula on both variables.

Do you have 2 different variables on the different tabs? In otherwords, is the one variable called description (# tab) and the other (EC Form) let's say description2? or do you mean that it is 2 x "description" variable on 2 tabs

Also, when populating the variable (description) on the first tab, is the second tab visible when this is done?

A variable on a datacard is like a row in a database. If the variable receives a value, that row is updated. Now if you have the 'updates all configurations' ticked, all references to the variable (in this case description) make reference to that one row. However, if you do not have this option ticked, there will be an individual row for each variant of the variable. So when you use the input formula, your saying: Whatever is in 'description', please put this for me in the 'description' field.

So I'm not sure why you're using this method, but essentially it does the same as the 'updates all configs' setting. If you want to... attach an export of this card to this post and I'll have a look at it for you.

Daniel Hunter

Both variables are just for 'description'.

It's a while since I tried it the other way, but i think it worked that way.  Ie as you mentioned it looked as though the first tab was the driving force of the two.

Obviously you don't actually see this in reality as the tab is a controlled one and hence only one tab is displayed dependant on a variable set in the workflow.

The update configurations for whatever reason just doesn't seem to work.  I'll look to upload data now...

Daniel Hunter

Please find attached working card with the formula method used.

Andries Koorzen

Hi Daniel.. I think I found the problem, but before I mention this...

My findings (please see the picture)

If I control the tabs with radio buttons, and I remove the input formula.. it works as normal!

So... question...

How do you control the value of variable 'EC Document type' , which controls the visibility of the tabs?

I don't see a control anywhere on the datacard which will allow you to modify the value for EC Document type.... where is it?

My guess is that this is the reason it fails...

radio buttons.jpg

online support.jpg

Daniel Hunter

It is controlled by the edit box in the lower right hand corner of the datacard.  This value is set at the beginning of my EC workflow.  So any other word document has the default datacard as per'#'.  Whereas the EC document that goes through my workflow has the variable 'EC Document Type' set to 'EC Form' on the very first transition.  Therefore the process controls / dictates which card is shown.

Andries Koorzen

Hi Daniel.

I was able to reproduce your problem. It seems to be a bug. Although I'm almost certain it used to work.

The problem can be reproduced as follows: If you use the 'controlled by variable' option, then the updates fail. If you just plainly show the tabs, the updates work.

So the 'controlled by variable' option seems to be the culprit.

Let's hope this is fixed in SP3.0

Your options are then possibly to just show the tabs (and disable the non wanted controls), or to use your current setup (but you'll have to do a 'reverse string' input formula, cause the current one is already reversing it on input)

Rich Thompson

we had a similar issue recently with a description field. It turned out to be an error with the variable definiation which had $prpsheet and customproperty listed (amongst others)  We used the description in parts and drawings, whenever the drawing description was updated and saved it got changed to the part description (due to the prpsheet) and the part description in this instance was blank   Was quite puzzling for a while....

maybe something similar here?

Rich