13 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2019 10:16 AM by Jay Seaglar

Material Not Applying in Simulation

Kerry Brunner

I am a student using SolidWorks Simulation for the first time and am having trouble.  I have downloaded the software on my computer and everything works properly except one thing.  I can apply a material in the "Modeling" portion of Solidworks and all material properties show up.  Unfortunately, it doesnt not carry over into the "Simulation" portion.  Then, even if i manually go in and try to apply it again, it simply doesn't let me.  The appropriate materials box shows up, and the material properties are all defined, however when I click "Apply" nothing happens.  This occurs for files I have created as well as the SolidWorks Simularion Tutorials which are given.  I can apply forces and fixtures appropriately, however I can not simulate because it will not let me select the material.

The most frustrating thing, is that I can use it on a friends computer and everything works properly.  I follow the same steps on both computers and yet mine will not work.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the program and still no success.  Any ideas?

• Re: Material Not Applying in Simulation
          Paul Kellner

Have you read the help and done any tutorials available?

Art Radomski

We are having a similiar issue also with material properties lossing information and preventing the simulation from running.  Currently we are working with our VAR to figure out what is going on, we do not have an answer yet.

Kerry Brunner

Paul:  I have done the tutorials and the same problem occurs.  Also, I am using Solidworks 2011 SP3.

Paul Kellner

Well I am at a loss as to what particularly is going on. Other SW based FEA like NEWorks write out an intermediate file in text that can be inspected. It is relatively easy to see what is going on with other FEA programs that write out such "input decks". User friendly carries with it this lack of visibility into what is going on. You might have a glance at the .out file to see if it has any clues.

Anthony Botting

Hi Kerry: A suggestion that has worked in the past: The VAR should have access to something called a "Simulation Cleaning Utility", which is free (a.k.a "COSMOS Cleaning Utility"). We used this in the past and it did clean-up problems. It strips your part and assembly files of all the Simulation data, to start anew. (yes, you'll have to set-up the problem all over again). If the VAR does not have a clue about what I'm talking about, you will probably have to force the issue or get another VAR (I used to work with one). Hope that helps. -Anthony

Ryan Beck

Is anyone else still having this old issue?  I am in 2012 Premium and having to manually update materials between the model and simulation sides.  Updates to the model material do not propogate...  ...sorry to resurrect such an old post.

Jesse Powers

I've had a similar problem (at least similar symptoms) in SW2017.  (It may also have happened to me in 2016, but I'm not sure.) 

I would try to apply a new material to a simulation-- and "applying a new material" could be that, as you've said, the material doesn't carry over from the feature tree into simulation for some reason, or that I want to apply a different material profile to compare to a simulation I've already done-- but, anyway, I would try to apply a new material, and it (the material) wouldn't be applied.  When I pressed 'apply', the material selection window would collapse the material list-- it looks like something happen, but it doesn't happen.

After "searching around in the dark" for a way to make the thing work, I finally found that I had to apply the material twice in a row while the material selection window was open-- and it would stay the second time I applied it.  So, apply it once (click 'apply'), the material list would collapse, stay in the window, go to the material (again), select the material (again), and click 'apply' (again).  Then, the material would be applied.

This is consistent behavior, so it works for me... but I have no idea why this is what makes it actually work.

Jens Rief

This exact problem is happening to me now, but your method does not work for me. My VAR is researching the subject.

In my case, all the parts got their material transferred correctly from the models but one. But when it comes to applying material to this part, or new material to the other parts, the same thing happens to me as they did to you: the Material window goes back to the "collapsed state", as you see the window when first opened.

Jay Seaglar

Such issues are typically unique to your material database environment, with custom material libraries often being the main contributing factor. Your VAR will probably request a SOLIDWORKS Rx Problem Capture with video to facilitate troubleshooting the issue.

The following SOLIDWORKS Knowledge Base (KB) solutions may also help:

S-058112: "In SOLIDWORKS® Simulation, what can be done if clicking on Apply/Edit material for a body in the Simulation study tree does not show a linked material even though a material is applied (green checkmark visible next to body)?"

S-072674: "What are some best practices for managing custom material database libraries for use in SOLIDWORKS® Simulation studies?"