6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2012 3:07 PM by Craig Siebert

Nested Folders - Feature Manager Tree

James Bailey

I've searched this on the internet, but almost all topics go back to SolidWorks versions prior to 2010.

I'm using SolidWorks 2012 and I'd like to know if there's a way to create a folder within a folder in the feature manager tree (the design tree usually to the left containing all of your parts/assemblies). It seems like a simple thing, but regardless if I drag and drop or try to create a new folder within the folder I have in the tree, I can't have layered folders. It's more of a way to maintain organization than anything and I think would be a great feature.

Thanks.

• Re: Nested Folders - Feature Manager Tree
          Jim Wilkinson

Hi James,

This is not possible as per the note in this help topic that says you can't add new folders to existing folders. I think this could be worded more clearly so have submitted feedback to our documentation staff through the feedback link on that page to improve the wording of the note.

http://help.solidworks.com/2012/English/solidworks/sldworks/add_folders.htm

Thanks,

Jim

Mark Olsen

Yes, you can do this in part files. I haven't ever seen this documented, however, so I have no idea if this will break anything. Try this at your own risk. I did this in SW2007, and it still works in SW2011. YMMV.

To nest the folders, do the following. Create three or more sketches that have no relation to each other (a point at the origin will do). Put each sketch in it's own folder. Now, drag the third or later folder up to an earlier folder (just not the one above it). You'll get the fishhook icon. Drop the folder. You will get an error message stating that you can't drag a feature before an earlier one. Pick 'Ok'. You now have nested folder.

BTW, a sketch isn't necessary, but the folder mustn't be empty. Features that have no relations to features in the folders you're moving above will work just fine.

James Bailey

Thanks for the feedback Jim.

Is this something that wouldn't be readily implemented into SolidWorks? If not, then would you recommend a request of a feature ticket to be sent in?

Jim Wilkinson

Hi James,

I can't really comment on how easy or hard it would be to implement. I would certainly recommend submitting an enhancement request if it is something you desire. Mark's workaround that he posted is interesting, but I don't think that it is really meant to work, so as he says, do it at your own risk.

There is a link on this page for submitting enhancement requests:

http://www.solidworks.com/sw/support/solidworks-support.htm

Thanks,

Jim

Magnus Hammar

I stumbled on this thread after feeling a bit stumped when I couldn't create a nested folder in SW2012.

I followed Jim's advice and added my input and vote to an enhancment request already submitted. The more the merrier, so If you still like to have this feature please submit a request also.

In my case it would be great to have at least two levels. That way I can hide all the stuff in the part that is irrelevant from the assembly point of view in a first level folder, while still having the opportunity to group features logically from a part point of view in the subfolders. This way I could reduce the feature manager clutter to a minimum.

/Magnus

Enhancement Request: 1-2647418604

Title: Would like to have nested feature folders

Craig Siebert

Going to have to request that to be invented.....Ask for some physical threads in the hole wizard while you are at it.