2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2012 5:02 AM by Sid SW

How to copy file card variables to a referenced virtual document?

Sid SW

For example, create a virtual doc for "*.sldasm" file and paste the same as reference to the respective ".sldasm" file. Now i want the assembly card variables to be copied to the refered virtual document card and should be dynamic.

Can we achieve this with in the box?

• Re: How to copy file card variables to a referenced virtual document?
          Kishore Garakipati

It is possible to copy the assembly card variables to a virtual doc data card using EPDM dispatch Add-In provided along with the software. You can initiate the variable copy process while the virtual doc is in its check-in process. 

You will have to make use of "Set Variable" Dispatch action and setup dispatch variables that would read the variables from SW assembly file and will then pass it on to virtual data card varibales.

Hope this information helps.

• Re: How to copy file card variables to a referenced virtual document?
              Sid SW

Yes, As you said i can write a dispatch programme which can be triggered by right clicking the selected assy and choose the action from the drop down list.

This programme will copy a template of virtual doc and paste the same in the selected assy location inside the vault. During the process the renaming of the file and copy variable actions can be carried successfully.

i am not sure if i make some changes on my assy data card, will update the virtual doc as well. How can i make this link dynamic.

Thank you.