11 Replies Latest reply on May 7, 2012 12:14 PM by Ray Egan

Laptop Recommendations

Hadleigh Murad

Hi all,

Just had a look to see who would know what decent specs would be perfect for solidworks on the go.

I will be paying out of my own pocket, so a sustainable choice for the long run would be ideal.

Also i had a look at a samsung laptop with these current specs, any recommendations?

• Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM Processor  2.2 Ghz
      • Graphics: AMD Radeon™ HD6970 2GB
      • Storage: 2 TB (2 x 1000 GB) SATA
      • Memory: 16 GB
      • Operating System: Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium (64 Bit)

The storage can also be upgraded to SSD.

Ideal - to run Solidworks 2012 premium.  Thanks in advanced.

• Re: Laptop Recommendations
          Scott McFadden

Hadleigh,

Have you looked at some of the other postings (specifically to the right under "More like this")

on this forum to see if any of those are what you are looking for?

Jerry Steiger

Hadleigh,

Your graphics system is not supported and may cause problems. Since you can't swap graphics chips on a laptop, you had better make sure that it is going to be OK before you buy. I would go for a laptop with a supported chip, but other people will give you different advice.

Jerry Steiger

Fred Britt

I just bought a HP EliteBook 8760w B2A82UT 17.3 LED Notebook - Smart Buy Core i7 i7-2640M 2.8GHz 8GB DDR3 500GB HDD DVD-Writer NVIDIA Quadro 3000M Bluetooth Finger Print Reader Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Gunmetal with a docking station (all purchase from Tiger Direct).

So far it's been a awesome computer for SW. I use an external monitor and use the lap top monitor as a secondary if needed. Also have a external keyboard, mouse, and ext solid statet drive to keep my data on.

The docking station is nice so when you go mobile, you don't have to unhook a bunch of wires/plugs. Just press the docking station disconnect and you are ready to go.

Steve Ostrovsky

I have a similar 15" version, HP EliteBook 8560w, of what Fred laid out and love it. Secondary monitor does great for all the big stuff and laptop for my email. Have had HP 17" laptops for years and thought I would try out a 15" instead. I do most of my heavy work with the secondary monitor unless out on-site somewhere doing a presentation.

Lots of engineering workstation grade laptops out there. Just make sure it has the right video card as you won't be able to swap it out.

Hadleigh Murad

Thanks for the replies,

but i forgot to mention i've already got the answer i was looking for when i asked Charles Culp. (he gave me a list of specs to look for, so my original post is very old news)

I am currently still looking, but will time the purchase right.

Regards

K. Kim

i have  the AMD radeon 6490m graphics card and it's causing major lag on my i7 notebook.  i get better performance on my 5 year- old duo core laptop running an nvidia car. i might have to resort to getting a new laptop but dont want to do that.  is there anyway to increase the performance of the graphics card?  i tried realhack and it doesnt work.

Hadleigh Murad

Just bought the dell precision M6600 (on ebay as well!) so am using that now typing the post and first impressions are very good.

Can't wait to run solidworks!