17 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2012 1:12 PM by Nathan Coy

CSWA Sample Exam - Error in the exam?

Nathan Coy

Hey guys,

I was studying to take the CSWP, and I noticed after checking the answer to question 1, I would have gotten it wrong.

There's a picture of "Drawing View A" and "Drawing View B".

The question reads:

1. To create drawing view 'B' it is necessary to sketch a spline (as shown) on drawing view 'A' and insert which SolidWorks view type?

a) Section

b) Crop

c) Projected

d) Detail

To which I answered d) Detail.  The answer key says the correct answer is b) Crop. 

Can you not get identical drawing views using either?  (detail having the advantage of leaving your drawing view 'A' available to work with)

• Re: CSWA Sample Exam - Error in the exam?
          Deepak Gupta

Welcome to SolidWorks forums Nathan.

Yes you can but in context of the question asked, correct answer is crop view only.

You might also find this post helpful for your future reference

Nathan Coy

In context of what part of the question exactly? 

You can create drawing view B by sketching a spline on drawing view A and using it to insert a detailed view. 

The whole "it is necessary" part of the question makes it sound as if you can only get that view via Crop, which isn't true.

Josh Brady

How many tests have you taken in your life?  If you don't like the wording, choose the best answer and move on.  Detail is not the best answer.  Apparently you didn't know enough about crop views in SW to realize that Crop is the best answer.  That's the point of tests: to figure out what you know. 

How about this one:

To drive a screw, it is necessary to use:

1. A refrigerator

2. A gerbil

3. A screwdriver

4. A hammer

Same question.  You gonna pick hammer because the "necessary" part confused you? 

Paul Cullen

Hi Nathan

The "it is necessary" part of the question refers to the fact that you have to sketch a spline to get the desired outline.

If you used a detail view to get view B it would be at a different scale from the view A, I know you can rescale the view to the same scale as the view A, but why would you want to do a detail view and keep it at the same scale as the original the purpose of a detail view is to zoom in on a specific area so as to show greater detail.

As view B is at the same scale as view A the correct answer is "crop view"

Matt Lombard

Nathan, I'm with you on this. When they write test questions like this, they're making assumptions about defaults, and not taking into account all the aspects. It is possible to set Detail views to default to 1:1. It is also possible to set detail views to use circles instead of whatever closed loop you sketch. So there is nothing about views being the same scale that distinguishes between Crop and Detail.

The only thing in the question that is a distinguishing mark between Detail and Crop is the fact that they say View A and View B. With a Crop view, there is no parent view, so you would start with View A and finish with View A. Only a Detail view uses a parent view, so from View A you would get View B. So the answer really should be Detail.

When people try to write clever questions, they need to look at all aspects of the question, not just one. If you can't write a difficult question that has a clearly unambiguous answer, you should just write a different question. Questions like this don't test skill or knowledge.

John Summers

"To create drawing view ‘B’ it is necessary to sketch a spline (as shown) on drawing view ‘A’

and insert which SolidWorks view type?"

Interesting (and incorrect) wording.  When creating a cropped view, the SolidWorks user is modifying an existing view, not inserting one.

Scott McFadden

Isn't it fair to say that the key word is "spline"?  I mean while you can draw a spline

for both a crop and detail view, it is the cropped view that prompts you to draw a spline.

The detail view prompts you to sketch a circle.

John Summers

True, but once you draw the spline, you don't "insert" a "SolidWorks view type"; you initiate the crop command to modify the existing view.  I guess I just get hung up on the concept of inserting a crop view.  If I were reading the instructions for the first time without knowing better, I would imagine that drawing view "B" is a child view from drawing view "A".

Symantics, symantics...

Scott McFadden

John,

Not going to disagree with you.  Makes total sense.

When it comes to these types of tests it is all about the wording...or lack of!!! 

Josh Brady

Every test is a "best answer" test.  This is a basic rule of test-taking.

Detail is certainly a possible way to make a view that looks like that.  But it is not the best way. You can drive a screw into a piece of wood using a hammer, but it's not the best way.  What made you choose "detail" instead of "crop"? 

And, John, you do "Insert" the view.  Insert->Drawing View->Crop.  Insert may not be what actually happens, but it's the way you get it there.

Matt Lombard

"Best" is a subjective thing. You can't even make a subjective "best" call because you don't know the rest of the situation. Only bad tests are ambiguous and don't address assumptions. Nothing is gained by knowing the answer to the question because it can be argued either way.

Nathan Coy

Josh Brady wrote:

What made you choose "detail" instead of "crop"?

Mainly because I rarely use crop view.  Detail is a far better solution for me, as typically if I need just a piece of a view it's going to need a  reference point and scaled up anyways.

That and the question showed two views.  If they were say, outlined in a titleblock as a before/after kind of thing, I would have without question chosen "crop" over "detail". 

And why I keyed in on "necessary" in the question is because I've taken 160+college credits worth of tests.  When a word like that shows up I read "only"...which is NOT the case here. 

Thanks for the input guys.  At least now I know I'm not totally crazy, and to keep an eye out for this kind of bullcrap on the real exam(s).