6 Replies Latest reply on May 4, 2012 3:59 AM by Erik Bilello

What drives Solidworks recent documents?

Daniel Herodes

What drives the list that solidworks (2012 x64 sp2.0) generates of recent documents?

It is obviously not windows (in my case XPPro x64), since when i open up my recent documents (C:\Documents and Settings\username\Recent) the list does not match what is shown in the solidworks recent documents (File > Browse Recent Documents).

When working on a project on a daily basis i tend to open up the same development assembly, lets call it "B.sldasm". I place it as a subcomponent in another assembly, called "A.sldasm." I work on both and save them both and close at the end of the day. The next day I look at my recent documents and only see A.sldasm, and mabye some subcompoents to B.sldasm listed. A.sldasm has some other components in it that I dont nessasarily need opened, but i have to open it to get at B.sldasm. The new 2012 version of solidworks has this nice new feature to pin recent documents to the list but that only works if I can get B.sldasm to show up in the list, how do I do that?

Granted i could just open the document from its file location, but it would be nice to just launch it straight from the application. I have seen a request for the recent documents to work correctly from a year ago but it seems there has been no advise or improvement. Am I missing something here?

• Re: What drives Solidworks recent documents?
          Jerry Steiger

Daniel,

Just piling in and offering you a little reinforcement. I also don't understand how SolidWorks comes up with their list of recent documents and would love to hear an explanation.

Since I periodically go through bouts of crashing, I thought perhaps that would explain why files I had recently worked on didn't show up on the recent documents, but I don't believe that is the case. It happens even when I safely get my working files saved.

Curious minds want to know!

Jerry Steiger

Erik Bilello

Daniel,

I've noticed that the only files that show up on the recent documents list are ones that I have opened directly with SW.  I use links on a spreadsheet and Windows Explorer to find and open files a lot and they never seem to be on the SW recent documents list.  It's one of my long time pet peeves with SW.

I also think crashes effect what ends up, or not, on the recent documents list.  But it doesn't explain all the "missing" files that I would expect to be there.

A way to designate a file as a "current project" that would place it on a list of shortcuts could be handy. Similar to pinning files to the recent documents list except that you could populate the list yourself regardless of how the files were opened.

Erik,

Filipe Venceslau

Daniel, Solidworks will only register a recent document if it is not yet loaded in memory when you open it.

The reason for this (I think) is the following:

Imagine having an assembly with many components and for some reason you decided to open a few (this number can sometimes get quite large) parts in their own individual window. If solidworks were to list every single part in the order you opened/accessed the recent list would quickly get populated with parts relative to one assembly only.

Their approach (in my opinion) is actually quite fair, since it allows for users with large assemblies to still keep track of their larger assemblies without having each sub-assembly/part listed in the recent documents.

I hope this made sense...and helps somewhat

Filipe

Erik Bilello

Filipe,

That occurred to me too, just after I clicked "add reply" and I agree that it is probably best if not every file I open from within an assembly ends up on the recent doc's list.  It doesn't explain why files that are opened via a link or from Windows Explorer don't make it to the list.

Filipe Venceslau

Erik, any file I open (as long as it's not loaded in memory), on my system gets properly populated in the recent list.

What do you mean, open a file through a link? Like a link to a location (in an email or something)?

Are you using windows xp by chance?

Filipe

Erik Bilello

Filipe,

I often keep track of what I'm working on with Excel spreadsheets.  I find the at despite some of the disadvantages, which have been discussed in other threads ( https://forum.solidworks.com/message/275652#275652 ), it is handy to have a link in the spreadsheet to open a SW file without having to browse for it.  Excel makes it easy to create links, although the file naming and structure you use can make it more or less complicated.

When I open a file by clicking a hyperlink in Excel I don't see it on the recently opened file list in SW.  I also make links to PDFs in Excel and I don't think they show up in the Acrobat recent list either, I'll have to pay closer attention.

The other situation is when you use Windows Explorer and double click to open a file.  I don't do it often but I don't think those files get on the SW recent used list either.

I'm currently using Win7 but have been using spreadsheet links since  XP.

Erik,