4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2013 3:07 PM by Simon Jackson

New to e-Drawings... are they secure?

Craig Gilbreath

We loaded e-Drawings on the laptop of my sales guy.  He really liked having the modle there to help his sales pitch and it worked!  We got the job. 

My question is, when I convert my modle to an e-Drawings file, can that file be opened in full-blown solidworks and accessed as a full SolidWorks modle?  My understanding is that eDrawings is kind of like turning a document into a PDF file.  Is my assumption correct?

The client wants to load eDrawings on his machine and have us provide him the eDrawings file...

• Re: New to e-Drawings... are they secure?
          Scott McFadden

Craig,

You are correct.  E-drawings is nothing more and nothing less then a method for someone

to see, rotate, zoom in and out, but NOT edit your model.

Depending on the version you have, if you have the premium, you can even add markups.

Not to worry, even though some one can take your e-drawing file and measure it, they can not

bust it apart to see individual parts.

E-drawings, E-parts and E-assemblies can't even be opened up in Solidworks.

Simon Jackson

I don't think E-drawings is secure. I have found an easy way to get from an E-Drawing to a good DWG file. No cracks, no special skills, not breaking the law.

I am very disapointed to discover this....what is E-drawings for if it is not to avoid sending out vector data when you don't want to?

Happy to explain to a bona-fide Solidworks representative what I did and provide an example.

Regards

Simon

Jeff Holliday

There is a setting that allows/disallows the edrawing to be read as an stl file. If you have the "pro" version of edrawings, you make this choice in the dialog box just before you tell it to create and name the edrawing. This is also where you can enable measuring. Turning both of those off will make it harder to "lose" info.

Simon Jackson

Hi Jeff,

The STL Option does not apply to 2D Drawings...(E-Drawings), I guess only to E-Parts and maybe E-Assemblies. The Measure option makes no difference to what I can do. I can still make an accurate and complete DWG drawing for import into any other software from an E-Drawing so it does not seem secure.

I am happy to send an example to you of what can be recovered from an E-Drawing, but I would also like to send it direct to someone concerned with E-drawings at Solidworks.

If I am wrong and something I am doing or assuming is incorrect then I will of course apologise and retract, but I don't think I am wrong....maybe someone at SW can convince me otherwise?

Regards

Simon