5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2012 4:43 PM by Corey Hinman

Check-in without revision

Joseph Lewinski

Okay folks.  Be easy on me.  I'm an extreme noob with ePDM.  What is the best way to take an existing project and put it into Enterprise WITHOUT adding a revision level?  Do I need a workflow to it or can I just move everything over?

joe

• Re: Check-in without revision
          Corey Hinman

Everything that gets checked in must meet the conditions of at least 1 workflow. You do not "need" a revision, as it a variable. The only thing you really need is a file.

You can make a generic workflow that has no incoming filters (right click on workflow->properties). Make a single state. Everything moved over will go in that state, and you could set up additional workflows and links to them later, but that is a pain in the arse....how many files are you migrating?

Joseph Lewinski

Hi Corey!

I know that this is not the way to go under normal circumstances, but Upper-Level Mgmt. is screaming to see some action w/ePDM.  We finally finished prototyping a project and I thought that this would be a good time to bring it in to ePDM (ought to satisfy the people who sign the paychecks ).

Anyway, I've got just shy of 1,000 cad files that I'll need to bring in this way.  I need to bring them in at whatever version they are currently saved as.  From this point forward, they will need to go through one of ore ECO workflow's.  At least that's the way I've envisioned it .  If it works as expected, new projects will START in the vault as they should.

joe

Jeremy Feist

your VAR should be able to help you with the details - here is the short version of how we got our existing cAD files into our vault.

we created a "data migration" workflow. all files added to the vault went into its inital state and the sytem mapped the custom properties to the EPDM variables. then everthing that had a recongizable value in the rev variable got the appropriate rev assigned in EPDM and moved to the appropriate state in our prodution workflow. anything that did not have  arecognized rev stayed in initiated for us to correct the rev data before it moved on. then the data migration was turned off, so that any new files added to the vault would go straight into the prodution workflow and get assigned the starting rev.

Shawn Kelly

Be careful.  The statement "I need to bring them in at whatever version they are currently saved as"  is a tricky situation.  I assume you want to make sure that later when you begin to really expand your ECx process that picking up on the last revision was what you need to do.

Following up on Corey's statement, you only really need a workflow with a single state that allows checkin and checkout.  I would also recommend a revision scheme that meets the needs of the files being used.  Set up a data card variable for the revision that is already in-place (assuming that they are in some kind of custom property).  Then talk to your reseller about the EPDM revision updater script.

This would initialize your revision to the first revision as is and subsequent revisions would carry on from there.

Shawn

Corey Hinman

As you can read by some others posts, i would share in their caution. I wouldn't recommend doing PDM implementation in "chunks" of data.

You really should map out what "state" and "workflow" your current files are in, and then set up the mapping to what you want them to be in PDM. Your initial workflow would then direct the files where they need to go based on those criteria.

It's like the old saying "measure twice, cut once".